Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone willing to write up perhaps include pix on the rear bumper or the bumper step removal/installation. Today I noticed my driver side step was sticking out somewhat (maybe there was a gap of 1/8 of an inch) and near it a small scratch as if another car rubbed up against it. I tried the old hitting it into place and nothing. So I would like to know what holds the step into place and what are the steps in removing/ solving my problem. Thank you

·
on line
559 Posts
You're in luck. I had to replace my step today. Sorry no pics though. To access the rear bumper step, you'll need to remove the entire corner piece.

1) You'll need to remove the center piece first. Three 19mm bolts on each side.

2) Behind that you'll see two 10mm bolts. Remove those.

3) At the very bottom of the trim, there's a plastic trim clip. Take a small flathead and pop out the head and the rest comes out (reminds me of a turkey pop-up timer)

4) Along the edge of the corner piece, there are screws attaching to the splash guard. You'll need a stubby Phillips to get those. There are 4, I think.

5) Once all hardware are removed, you can pull the piece out. They're help in my clips. Just yank on them.

Once the piece is removed, you'll see that the step piece is held on by three actual bolts and nuts. The rest are molded on pegs that you screw nuts onto.

I hope that helps.

·
on line
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
max6spd said:
You're in luck. I had to replace my step today. Sorry no pics though. To access the rear bumper step, you'll need to remove the entire corner piece.

1) You'll need to remove the center piece first. Three 19mm bolts on each side.

2) Behind that you'll see two 10mm bolts. Remove those.

3) At the very bottom of the trim, there's a plastic trim clip. Take a small flathead and pop out the head and the rest comes out (reminds me of a turkey pop-up timer)

4) Along the edge of the corner piece, there are screws attaching to the splash guard. You'll need a stubby Phillips to get those. There are 4, I think.

5) Once all hardware are removed, you can pull the piece out. They're help in my clips. Just yank on them.

Once the piece is removed, you'll see that the step piece is held on by three actual bolts and nuts. The rest are molded on pegs that you screw nuts onto.

I hope that helps.
whyd you have to replace it?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I've been needing to replace one too. Unless I saw wrong, that one stupid
piece is around $70 on the dealer website!!!! Figured I'll live with it for
awhile.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey guys,
First , the corner piece you are referring to is indeed $ 59.00 plus some change.
The step part is only ten or twelve dollars but, I had to wait like four weeks for mine.
You Do Not have to remove the center piece. Remove the bolts, actually screws, around the corner piece. Because the plastic is flexible you can remove the corner from inside of the center section....Much, Much Easier.
Also you will have to pry the tread in the step up first with a screwdriver.
it snaps into the metal step inside. Your step is actually bolted to the corner piece inside. Be careful, the plastic studs break.
Hope this helps ?

Regards, Jim B

·
on line
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
prod39 said:
Hey guys,
First , the corner piece you are referring to is indeed $ 59.00 plus some change.
The step part is only ten or twelve dollars but, I had to wait like four weeks for mine.
You Do Not have to remove the center piece. Remove the bolts, actually screws, around the corner piece. Because the plastic is flexible you can remove the corner from inside of the center section....Much, Much Easier.
Also you will have to pry the tread in the step up first with a screwdriver.
it snaps into the metal step inside. Your step is actually bolted to the corner piece inside. Be careful, the plastic studs break.
Hope this helps ?

Regards, Jim B
this is what i think happened here.. another car swipped my car and one of those plastic studs broke.. im going to go right now try and take a picture lol dark as hell out but atleast you will see what im talking about

Edit: alright so i went and for the heck of it took a picture of the problem.. not the best pic since its dark and no flash but good enough to see what happened..

the scratches look big in the pic but if you clean the area it does not look noticable

·
on line
463 Posts
Sounds just like what happened to me....Parking Lot !
I had shopping cart nail my door at another location, as well !
I was napping, scared the crap out of me, and of course, have no idea who left the cart to roll.
If that's the damage, go to your local dealer and check on part availability before you take apart.
I wound up piecing mine back together until the new one arrived. I drilled straight through and placed three 1/4x20 bolts through and nuts on the back. Didn't look half bad until the new part got here.
Regards, Jim B

·
on line
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
prod39 said:
Sounds just like what happened to me....Parking Lot !
I had shopping cart nail my door at another location, as well !
I was napping, scared the crap out of me, and of course, have no idea who left the cart to roll.
If that's the damage, go to your local dealer and check on part availability before you take apart.
I wound up piecing mine back together until the new one arrived. I drilled straight through and placed three 1/4x20 bolts through and nuts on the back. Didn't look half bad until the new part got here.
Regards, Jim B
I wouldnt say the problem is as big as yours was but still is a bitch to have any sight of damage on a new car. Need to order the rear guard as soon as possible though i think the guard woundnt have prevented this

·
on line
463 Posts
It's unfortunate but the guard or the rear bumper will not prevent that area from damage.
If memory serves me, your problem is where the bolts slip into the bottomof the step. The plastic studs are on the top.
What, most likely happened is the swipepulled the step back and out of the groove in the step.
You'll understand what I'm talking about when you take it off.
A. Pry up the step
B. Unbolt all around the corner, look at the bottom and inside the
hatch door.
C. Wiggle the corner piece ( doesn't weigh anything) and you'll
see how it slips into the center piece.
D. Look inside the corner piece and see what all of us are talking
about .

Your damage doesn't appear to have broken the inside BUT, I agree, Any damage to the X is bad for Us !

Take care,
Jim B

·
on line
559 Posts
NyCXterra said:
Some idiot trying to get out of his/her parking spot (parallel parking) whacked it. Broke two of the plastic mounts. It's only $7.91 from Courtesy Parts.

·
on line
559 Posts
NyCXterra said:

the scratches look big in the pic but if you clean the area it does not look noticable
Yup. Same thing happened to me. But mine was whacked from the rear and broke the plastic studs in the front. When you take it apart, you'll see why they break. They're real flimsy.

·
on line
559 Posts
I agree with prod. The rear guard wouldn't help. In fact, even if it did, the impact would have damaged the guard. The guard would be $150+ or the step is $8. Go figure. Which hurts more?

I was adding the Shrock rear to my truck so I thought it'd be a good opportunity to replace the step.

·
on line
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
max6spd said:
NyCXterra said:
Some idiot trying to get out of his/her parking spot (parallel parking) whacked it. Broke two of the plastic mounts. It's only $7.91 from Courtesy Parts.
thanks for reminding me about courtesy parts :cheers:

and yea when i pulled back the step I saw the bolt which was supposed to be in the lower step..

·
on line
6 Posts
I've been needing to replace one too. Unless I saw wrong, that one stupid
piece is around $70 on the dealer website!!!! Figured I'll live with it for
awhile.
I got that larger plastic piece for 60 bucks from the dealership today and i thought that was an amazingly good price...especially since it cost me nearly 300 bucks to replace the bumper on my suburban when it was damaged. :(

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can the top part of these steps where the grips are just pry off? I was thinking about painting mine red.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts