Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a friend of mine weld me up a rear bumper next week thats going to have a hitch and recovery points and wanted to know whats used on the back of the bumper for added reinforcement for towing/recovery? 1x2 or 2x2 tubing? Pics would be a huge help also. Thanks guys. :hello2:

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Many of the towing-rated aftermarket bumpers simply have extended brackets. The OEM tow hitch uses a set of weld nuts in the frame that are further back from the three primary nuts for the bumper; aftermarkets use all four holes.

As to the bumper itself, I've seen tube and I've seen gussets. As long as you place them well, either should work.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a piece of 1/4" c-channel from work for the bumper itself. We also have a ton of 1x2 tube also. Will 1x2 give enough added reinforcement then?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Probably, just make sure it's going in the right places. Remember there are some pretty basic hitches out there that are just a bunch of 2x2 tubes and plates welded together - properly designed and welded steel is stronger than many people give it credit for. Your 1/4" channel as a starting point is probably erring on overkill anyway. It's not necessarily what you use, but how you use it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot for the advice guys. Reason for asking about adding a piece of square tubing is I seen pics of the rear of the bumpers Bucksnort makes. Never thought about gussets, thats a good idea. New addiction I like your idea about using c channel for the frame mounts also. I think I will get another piece of c channel for the mounts.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
I use 2 1/2 sq. 3/16th's steel connected to the frame mounts. The design is box construction for strength. It's not "tow" rated officially gut if you manage to F it up I'll replace it for free. You're going to bend your frame rails before my bumper gives.
The pic shows 2" tube. I've since changed to 2 1/2" after the first run.

Tied into the frame mounts

Dan, I hope you have the receiver braced. I looked at your build pics and it just looks like it's just face welded. When you have a 3,000 lb. trailer trying to beat you down the road you're going to find out fast if it's going to hold together. Looking at the welds, and this is being real honest, I hope you have good insurance.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
What kind and amp welder did you use on the project?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question. Why is there 6 holes each side for mounting? I fabbed up and made rear recovery brackets with 3 holes each for mounting. I don't remember seeing that many holes. LOL Could they for ppl with BL's? Man I wish I could afford to buy a bumper. I'm having a guy I work with make the bumper since I can get all the metal needed from work. Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get all the info I can for this guy at work so the bumper will be plenty strong enough. Bucksnort do you use c-channel too?

·
on line
7,144 Posts
the xtra holes are for a B/L. I don't use c channel. I have 3/16th plate steel bent after being laser cut from a sheet. Make sure the guy knows how to weld. Some examples I've seen are horrendous. Be interesting when someone yanks on one and it comes flying back

·
Registered
550 Posts
X2 on the welds though. eeeek.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's one of the best welders I have ever seen. He's seriously been welding/fabbing things for 40+ years. Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts