Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a replacement rear bumper at some point in the future. However, I will need a tow hitch in probably about two months to move. Is there any definitive release time frame for the Shrock bumper. I've heard on the forums that the price for the bumper and the tire carrier will be about $750. My question is... what other costs are there besides the pieces themselves? I've heard about frame stiffeners... are they necessary and how much do they usually cost? I also have the Daystar lift, which in my opinion, is just barely high enough in the rear to appear level (I planning on getting the Calmini AAL sometime soon to bump it up a little), how much heavier is the steel bumper, enough that it will lower the rear end?

I would love to hold out for the Shrock rear bumper, however, just don't know if I can wait for it to come out, or if I'll have money to do the "extra" stuff that would/might be necessary. Also, is the installation something that a novice could do, or is it pretty complex?

Thanks. -Ben

·
on line
496 Posts
I've already fab'd my own tire carrier bumper and there shouldn't be anything extra you need to do to prep the vehicle for one. The frame rails are all boxed and tied together by crossbars or members in several places. Gen1 Xterra's were not so well endowed as the Gen2.Gen1's were born from 80's compact truck stock :hippy2: were as Gen2 is derived from Titan full size truck stock. :naka: Installation should be real simple the stocker onle has 3 bolts each side holding it on I moved up to 4 by using some holes forward on the rails that the tow hitch uses. The only thing you would need to add would be the tow package wire harness. It runs 50-60 dollars.

·
on line
204 Posts
Grunzen said:
I've already fab'd my own tire carrier bumper and there shouldn't be anything extra you need to do to prep the vehicle for one. The frame rails are all boxed and tied together by crossbars or members in several places. Gen1 Xterra's were not so well endowed as the Gen2.Gen1's were born from 80's compact truck stock :hippy2: were as Gen2 is derived from Titan full size truck stock. :naka: Installation should be real simple the stocker onle has 3 bolts each side holding it on I moved up to 4 by using some holes forward on the rails that the tow hitch uses. The only thing you would need to add would be the tow package wire harness. It runs 50-60 dollars.

Did you build your rear bumper? If so, could you post more pictures of it.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1177

That link explains the whole process for an install. No extra about it. Just remove and install. I paid way too much for my hitch and sold it for $60 most I can get is 50% of going rate and that was a hidden hitch. '

Your real problem is time frame. Better order now or start building.

MC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts