Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
589 Posts
Well...fully shrocked now with all the effort and heartache some of those installs had. Rear bumper was the easiest (Most straight forward), but spent a few days painting the rear corners and the body side moldings. The pictures don't so it justice, but with a full black set of Shrockworks gear; the corners and moldings being painted black looks really good. The difference from that then the contrasting gray (before) is am improvement I am happy I took the time to do. I will see about getting some better shots but here are a few:

TO THIS:

((Recommend clicking on the one above for the best impression of the black corners))

·
on line
631 Posts
so you painted the back (ones with the step) plastic pieces black? what paint did you use? you're right, hard to tell in the pics

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the ones with the steps, and the door moldings (on the side of car). I should have had the foresight to take a before and after shot, but it's noticeable.

·
on line
631 Posts
wow! yea i compared the pics to some of mine and i can see the difference. i like the black side moldings, looks really good. and since i have the same color as you i might do that! :cheers:

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same paint on all of it. It was a plastic bonding type, and just made sure I cleaned the hell of the areas scrubbing, and then with ammonia first. Separated the steps and did them apart but with the same stuff.

·
on line
704 Posts
Nice!

This is nice! I am planning on doing the same thing and spraying the side steps with Line-X for extra durability :) BTW, what suspension do you have and how do you like the MTs?

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have to check on paint brand again XterraVT, bought it a while ago and it took this long for me to get to it.

Vman, I have radflos and Total Chaos UCAs up front, with Calmini shackles and AAL in the back. Replaced the rear shocks with Rancho 9000x. The MTs are fantastic, don't plan on putting anything else on the car now that I have had them.

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow up question about the install:

How tight were the stock rear bumper and hitch bolts on anyone's X that has installed an after market bumper?

I ask because these bolts were the tightest bolts I have ever taken off of anything...seriously. I broke a 3/8" socket wrench (sheared off the head), permanently bent a 3 foot torque wrench (it maxed out without moving them), and eventually got them off with a 1/2" socket wrench and one hell of a long pipe as a come-along with my entire body weight pulling down on it. And that was for every bolt...

·
on line
4,919 Posts
Those bolts are definately on there pretty good. If you spray with a penetrating oil a couple times before install (1-2 days before) they come off easier. I had the benefit of using a 3/4" impact set with a 2' breaker bar (impact gun wasn't strong enough). I have orderd the rear bumper and I was under there doing my lift kit and decided to see what the install would take as far as removing the stock Hardware.

Your X looks tight though. Good job with the paint!

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I broke a 3/8" socket wrench (sheared off the head), permanently bent a 3 foot torque wrench (it maxed out without moving them), and eventually got them off with a 1/2" socket wrench and one hell of a long pipe as a come-along with my entire body weight pulling down on it. And that was for every bolt...
Righty tight, lefty loosey.. :geek:

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey Erick !!! Really Nice work !

Now are you going to come out and play with us ?

Jim B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts