Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumper arrived via fed-ex on Friday morning. As per usual, getting a package from Shrockworks is like an early Christmas. Here's the obligatory "no bumper" shot.

The welds on this things are incredible.

Bolted it up without any real problems. My dad had some adhesive backed plastic zip-tie clips that I attached to the inside of the bumper to route the wiring for the license plate light and keep it from flopping around. Here's the finished product;

There is only one issue. What you see below is the stock 31" BFG Long Trail spare that I've yet to replace. It pushes all the way up against the bumper...

I will be replacing the spare with a 285/75 Toyo M/T, which is the tire I'm currently running.

Jim, I remember you telling me when I placed my order that you test fitted a 285/75 underneath without any problems? And honestly, this isn't a huge problem for me as I carry a powertank and can easily carry a deflated spare.

Other than that, this thing is amazing.

·
on line
72 Posts
if that was me i would get out the grinder, shave a round notch into the bumper to match the tire and spray it black. you wouldnt ever see it and it wouldnt be an issue with the tire underneath :)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
good job man.. looks realy nice

·
on line
190 Posts
That looks great. That bumper has made it onto my wish list.

How do you like the Toyo's btw?

I'm having a hell of a time finding a place by me that carries them.

Found a few places online, but the shipping costs are kind of high.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Thats weird that your spare is touching like that because i have a shrockworks rear bumper and mine doesnt even touch the spare (or at least i never noticed)! Did you try spinning the spare around a little to make sure it isnt hung up on something?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Jim does the fronts in grey so I don't see why a rear could not be done in grey also...

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Spotted these bumpers on MC and Muzikman's trucks. Very nice.

·
on line
9 Posts
Re: Question for Jim

Being a 2006 OR mine also has the stock 31" BFG tires. I'm also interested in finding out the answer to this one.

Chuck

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Delaware_X said:
That looks great. That bumper has made it onto my wish list.

How do you like the Toyo's btw?

I'm having a hell of a time finding a place by me that carries them.

Found a few places online, but the shipping costs are kind of high.
I ordered the Toyo's from Les Schwab's, a huge chain that operates here in the northwest. I think that Toyo is their #1 selling brand. If I wasn't able to get them from Scwhabbies, I would of had to find an on-line source. I love the tires so far. I love the aggressive side lugs and I've heard of people getting 50K+ out of them. Downside is price and weight. The sidewalls on these things are STIFF. You really need to go 10 psi in the sand to get any sort of a wider footprint.

I decided to order the black powder coat on the rear bumber just to stay with the theme of the black shrock sliders and the black front bumper that I ordered. I kind of like how the black sticks out from the grey plastic corner pieces (it just seems to scream "not stock"), but would totally understand if somebody wanted to color match.

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some difference in spare tire mounting points between the '05-'06 models. I also notices that there was already a small cut out spot in the bumper (which you can see in the picture) that doesn't really line up with my tire. It doesn't seem like Jim's shop would make a desing mistake that blatant. I wonder what year their test mule was...?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MagEditor said:
if that was me i would get out the grinder, shave a round notch into the bumper to match the tire and spray it black. you wouldnt ever see it and it wouldnt be an issue with the tire underneath :)
That thought did cross my mine. However, I would need to grind away A LOT to squeeze that 33" Toyo under there. My concern is that I would run into the bracing for the tow hitch If I tried to go too far.

I may drop that 31" BFG just to take a look around up underneath to see how much room I have. I appear to be the only one so far who's having this problem. Not quite sure why that is. I'm probably just going to run a slightly deflated spare.

Jim... any ideas?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I got the tire carrier, so I did not try and put my 285 spare back up there, but I would look to make sure it's in straight. I doubt the mounting location for the spare differs between the 05 and 06...but maybe.

·
on line
9 Posts
OregonX

Jim watches this site. He WILL reply. Could be he is investigating the problem as we speak, or out of the office. If you get an answer via PM please let me know as I am interested in the answer.

Thanks

Chuck

PS Your ShrocKworks bumper REALLY LOOKS GOOD. I'm thinking of doing the same without the tire carrier. Was it as easy to install as you said... just bolt it on. Taking the old one off a problem?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chuck k said:
OregonX

Jim watches this site. He WILL reply. Could be he is investigating the problem as we speak, or out of the office. If you get an answer via PM please let me know as I am interested in the answer.

Thanks

Chuck

PS Your ShrocKworks bumper REALLY LOOKS GOOD. I'm thinking of doing the same without the tire carrier. Was it as easy to install as you said... just bolt it on. Taking the old one off a problem?
Taking the old bumper off was a piece of cake. All you need to do is disconnect the wires leading to the two license plate lights (turn each bulb counterclockwise about 1/8 of a turn to pull it out of the mount) and remove the three bolts holding up each side of the bumper. Bolt access is great, I didn't have to remove anything to get at them.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
The tire dangles from the chain while you crank it up, so it can go anywhere and tends to wedge toward the bumper.

Let it down a little, and hold it toward the front of the vehicle a bit while you crank it up.

A 285/75/16 WILL will like this. Here is a pic of one even WITHOUT the little notch/cutout in the center.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, and this has nothing to do with the Shrock bumper, but do shave to do with 285 spares. It will rub on the drivers side parking brake cable. Mine had worn though two layers of rubber coating that is around it and the spare had onlt been under there a few months.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shrockworks said:
The tire dangles from the chain while you crank it up, so it can go anywhere and tends to wedge toward the bumper.

Let it down a little, and hold it toward the front of the vehicle a bit while you crank it up.

A 285/75/16 WILL will like this. Here is a pic of one even WITHOUT the little notch/cutout in the center.

Thanks for the quick response, Jim. Now I feel like an idiot. My plan was to drop the tire this weekend to see if it was adjustable at all. I should have done that before posting. Anyways...

On a side note, thanks for such a great product. To some degree, it sucks to not have the aftermarket that other vehicles do. But I think that all of us 2nd gen X guys appreciate what you've made available for us, and that it's all such high quality.

One of my jeep buddies ordered your TJ sliders about a month ago after seeing my sliders. He loves 'em. As a result, another buddy with a YJ will probably be ordering a set in the near future as well. I've also got a co-worker with a TJ who claims that she's giving some thought to ordering your rear swing-away because she's so impressed by the my Xterra bumper.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts