Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The paint on the rear bumper of my 2012 Xterra has some rock chips that have begun to rust.

Going to take the bumper off for cleaning and repaint.

Any idea what color would be a close match to the OEM silver? (Generic photo included)

Asked a Nissan dealer and the guy told me he doesn't have a color code for specific components.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Maybe try the silver that was used on the silver Xterras? Seems like an awfully close match.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
The color is pretty close, but the texture is something else. It's almost satin with a fine grain to it, like 1000 grit sandpaper. I've heard speculation that the 09-13 bumpers, rails, and grilles were powdercoated (but that doesn't make sense). I've patched my silver roof rails with K12 silver touchup paint - the color does look like a a match but the glossiness and lack of texture of the touchup paint stands out. You might try just using K12 and sanding it before applying a matte clearcoat.

Apparently others have discovered the paint name but couldn't get a hold of it:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/53929-2-questions-re-2009-grille.html?t-53929.html=

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People have asked this question for YEARS and this is the first time anyone's come up with a definitive answer.

Now, as to whether or not you can actually get the paint...
Absolutely. LX04 is the Nissan color code, but I've had a hell of time finding it in the real world.
A Car Quest shop was able to come up with a color code using a scanning device. Apparently it's color code MA056.50, which Car Quest can provide.
Haven't put it on yet, but once I do I'll come back with an update as to how closely it matches the original.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe try the silver that was used on the silver Xterras? Seems like an awfully close match.

That's a good idea. Much easier to get my hands on that silver. However I wanted to get as close to the original as possible. Let's hope the scanner's good.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It isn't different than roof rack, cross bars, or side steps.... if you still have those things.

I would think a matte clear over the silver versus gloss and polishing would yield a VERY similar result as OEM.

Or if you want to go fancy.... color match to the body. Probably look better anyways IMO. Really jazz it up with matching roof rack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Final Product

Here's the final product. Given all the trips to Canadian Tire and paint shops for tools and consumables, I'd say it would've costed almost the same if I had taken it into a body shop, however the learning experience might come handy in the future.

To summarize, I had some rust starting to eat away from the extreme left and right bottom tips of the the rear bumper (metalic middle part), most likely as a result of rocks being thrown up at it by the rear wheels. The damage was not readily visible as it was underneath the bumper.

Went to CarQuest and had them use their paint scanner to give me the color code MA056.50
Did all the prep work: Wire brush the rust off, a layer of Duplicolor self-etching primer, followed by 2 layers of filler primer. Sand, paint-prep cleaner, then Duplicolor bedliner over the rear and under the bumber (out of sight areas).

You need to do the prep before purchasing the paint, if you want hardner/catalyst added to the paint. Once hardner is added you'll have a day or so to finish painting before the rattle can turns into a rock. (Might take longer but why take the chance).

I'm happy with the final product. Looks identical to the original paint job. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
i have the same problem. Except a couple of the rust spots are on the back not just the bottom.. Looking at just doing the rust posts.. for now..

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Recently repainted my bumper with the same color paint as that of my silver Xterra
Nissan paint code K23

Not an exact match to OEM, but pretty darn close. Blends with the body nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts