Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another question before i order my lift kit... i know i need extended brake lines for the rear and the AC suspension kit has everything (front coils, rear AAL, F&R shocks and brake lines). question i have: is the brake bleeding procedure the same? start from furthest wheel (passenger rear) then move on to drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front? i dont need a scantool like some toyotas and GMs do i?

·
on line
131 Posts
You do not need anything special to bleed the brakes on your X. Are you replacing the front lines also? If not you do not need to bleed them.

·
on line
463 Posts
Huh ? How can you replace the rear brake lines and Not Bleed the brakes ?
This would be news to me.
If you open the system, any part of it , I'm 99.9 % sure you have to bleed the system.
Perhaps not bleeding the front brakes if they aren't messed with.
I think the rears have to be bled , after replacing the lines.
Sorry, but, I would check this very carefully.

Jim B

·
on line
187 Posts
i think/hope he's talkign about the front.....hes saying you dont need to bleed the front too if you dont take it apart.......
so since your replacing the rear, you only need to bleed the rear....you have have any air bubble suddenly appear in the front.....
but its best to just bleed the whole system, you might as well, its only a few more minutes since you'll already have all the wheels off when installing your kit

·
on line
131 Posts
Yes I was refering to the front brakes not needing to be done if you do not replace the front brake lines. They are on a completely different circuit as the rear so opening the rear brakes has no effect on them. Sorry for the confusion.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i forgot about the ABLS... so the rear is seperate from the front? nice. saves me 10 minutes! haha

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would still bleed the front just to make sure. For the few minutes that it would take.

Also, disconnect the battery when you bleed. If you don't you run the chance to freaking out the ABS system.

The order in which you bleed is.

1 - Right Rear
2 - Left Front
3 - Left Rear
4 - Right Front

A vacume brake bleeder is well worth the money if you change your own brakes. It allows you to bleed the brake by yourself, it also allows you a quick and easy way to flush the brake system.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Bump!!

Just installed the stainless steel brake lines. Bled the system numerous times and as soon as I start the truck the pedal goes to the floor. Turn the truck off, the pedal firms up. Checked ALL the brake line connections twice, and still can't get the pedal to firm up. Trying the bleed the system a 3rd time now. Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Just responded to your text man. Sorry, my phone died.

I see you definitely had the correct order from this thread so I guess it's not that.
What were you using to bleed the brakes? A vacuum pump or just a tube on the bleeder valve or what? The first time I bled my brakes I just use a tube straight off the bleeder valve and down into a jug but because I wasn't keeping the line full of brake fluid constantly I was sucking air back into the system. That's the only other thing I could really think of is that somehow there is still air in there. Just not sure how it is still ok there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts