Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a deal on Daystar shackles and they arrived today. Got some AC springs w/ shocks mounted coming (hopefully next week). Still undecided whether to use them or get spacers, but since I got a good deal on them,(shipping only), I figure I can try them out and if I don't like the setup, buy the spacers. So my question: Can I lift the rear before the front? I know it will accentuate the rake and make the truck look kinda funny (like it's trying to hump something), but from a safety/functional standpoint, will it be alright? I'm itching to get some mods done and I don't have to work this weekend so I'd like to get going. The following two weekends I have to work so I won't be able to do anything then. I know MC put the front on one day and the rear later, so I thought I might take the opposite approach. When the front end stuff comes, I'll get to that when I can. Any thoughts?

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. If I can corral my son tomorrow, I'll get these shackles on. Another question: The bushings that came w/ the shackles are covered in some greasy stuff. After reading MC's post on Squeaky Spring Cure, I wonder if I should clean that stuff off and spray them with a dry lube instead before the install. Think that may help prevent dirt from sticking in there and starting the squeak?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
buxwheat said:
After reading MC's post on Squeaky Spring Cure, I wonder if I should clean that stuff off and spray them with a dry lube instead before the install. Think that may help prevent dirt from sticking in there and starting the squeak?
The Daystar shackles are greasable (they have a ZERK fitting on the bolt)... it's probably grease residue on them. Since they're polyurethane you'll want to grease whenever you start to hear the squeak or just make a regular interval, like when you do an oil change or something.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the zerks haven't been lubed yet. I'm referring to the black poly bushings. They feel like WD_40 has been sprayed on them or Armour-All. Shiny and greasy.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
buxwheat said:
Thanks guys. If I can corral my son tomorrow, I'll get these shackles on. Another question: The bushings that came w/ the shackles are covered in some greasy stuff. After reading MC's post on Squeaky Spring Cure, I wonder if I should clean that stuff off and spray them with a dry lube instead before the install. Think that may help prevent dirt from sticking in there and starting the squeak?
Ah ah ah! No! Leave that on! That is a special lube that goes with rubber and needs to be there. I'll add that to my post soon with a picture of a proper lube for that part. I am only talking about the steel parts when i talk about dry lube. Not rubber to steel leave that there! MC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts