Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read some have had issues. i ran across another X owner yesterday. we started to talk. he had a 07. 170,000 miles! i asked "so, how do you like it?" he said "its been great. but every 30,000 miles the damn rear axle seals go!" :dontknow: he mentioned his mech. did the breather mod, and it made no difference. they are still going bad. i have a bad one now, he stated. his buddy has the same year, and same problem. he claims nissan knows its a design problem, but will not admit it.

of course this had me a bit concerened. is this really a issue to look foward in the future? did they do any improvements in the latter years? is this a hit or miss issue? nissan stated to him, you had the thing in 2 feet of water, which he did not.

just thought i would post this to get the low down on this issue, if it is one.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm going to go with hit or miss on this issue. Every 30K miles seems a bit much- something else is probably at work there, either poor repair quality or something wrong with the axle/diff itself. I would be asking my mechanic a lot of pointed questions, or- at 170K- just getting a new truck.

My X is a 2005 and it still has the original seal (only 63,000 miles on it though). I wheel and tow with my truck, and so far I've had no problems with anything leaking.

·
on line
951 Posts
One thing I would be asking at this point is were the wheel bearings replaced at the same time? The seal can be teased over the bearings on the m2226, but it's not good for them and they will leak. I know this from experience, had to change a seal in a pinch for inspection. Magic number was 30k, this time the bearings were replaced on both sides and so far they have held up, but it's only been 2k miles.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The seal can be teased over the bearings on the m2226, but it's not good for them and they will leak.
Exactly, I would never try and stretch the seal over the bearings as the part that you are stretching IS the seal. It has a 3-ribbed barrier that seals to the axle shaft itself (just like the r180 diff seal). If you replace the seal, you replace the bearings, bearing spacer, race, etc. Unless you fab up a jig to "press off" the bearings. And even then, if you're in there, you might as well replace everything.

If anyone needs any help or guidance in this department, let me know, they are very easy and cost affective to do by yourself. Rather than Nissan charging about $1000 (give or take) for the job. It ran me under $160 for everything from Napa and labor to have the new stuff pressed on!

·
on line
510 Posts
I'm going to go with hit or miss on this issue. Every 30K miles seems a bit much- something else is probably at work there, either poor repair quality or something wrong with the axle/diff itself. I would be asking my mechanic a lot of pointed questions, or- at 170K- just getting a new truck.

My X is a 2005 and it still has the original seal (only 63,000 miles on it though). I wheel and tow with my truck, and so far I've had no problems with anything leaking.
For my truck I just discovered that it is about every 50 000 miles. I went to do the rear brakes at about 100 000 and discovered a bit of a mess. I left a message with the dealership that fixed it the first time (free for me) and have not been contacted in a week. I told the service manager ('s machine) that I know it's not his fault, but that I want his insight into how to proceed. I'll try again this week. Hmmmmm

i see there was a bulliten for this in 08...
http://www.nissanproblems.com/tsbs/Xterra/2008/

for the m226 axle. manual tranny. might be more common on the manual X? thanks sevenhelmet for the info.
That's my truck! (breather mod in place)

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
well there is a tsb out for these axle seals. the seals actually groove into the rear (inner)axle. so when you put a new seal on it works for a while and starts leaking again. while i was under warrenty i had both my rear axle seals and axles replaced due to this tsb

·
on line
386 Posts
On my 05 OR the right rear axle seal started leaking at 46,000 miles and was replaced under warranty.

At 52,000 miles the left rear seal went out and I had it replaced by my mechanic since it was out of warranty.

I am 82,000 miles and both seals are dry but we will have to wait and see how long the current set lasts.

·
on line
951 Posts
I will have mine out next week, have to see if there is a groove worn in it or not. Better not be, I've already replaced the axle twice, once under warranty and once my cost after the pinion set exploded and took out everything else with it. From towing a lawnmower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts