Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 - 144k miles - I have VERY loud fuel injectors. I just got the clean bill of health from the 2nd shop it has been too. The shop said the loud ticking was fuel injectors and he would drive my rig 1000 miles himself if it was his. He stethoscoped it with and with out the belt. He also said some after market injectors could be very loud and I didn’t have a hood insulator either so that makes it seem worse. Any thoughts? My interweb research tells me
A. Super cheap after market replaments
B. They are getting ready to fail
C. They are some super high end , high out put injector
D. What do you think?????

All the engine mods I can see are K&N and flow master.

The rig does run smooth and has MORE than enough horsepower to get me in trouble. Suprising quick and powerful. I am assuming everyone second gen is the same.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
when running well the vq40 is a good strong engine. they do tend to be pretty noisey though, esp at higher mileage.

so was the mechanic basically saying its just loud injectors and dont worry about it? or was he suggesting you continue researching an issue?

I have had a Nissan dealer tell me the same thing: " its fine, just loud injectors"

probably not a big deal unless they are really crazy loud. I do have the hood sound deadening material installed and can still hear them ticking away, so I imagine without it would be even more pronounced.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am glad to hear the dealer said the same as my mechanic. I hope they both are not wrong. My Mechanic said don’t worry about it at all. I am going to source the hood insulator at a pick n pull junk yard. Maybe even a set of injectors if I find a some with low milage and they are really cheap.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
does it sound almost like valves tapping? Thats why i brought it into nissan in the first place, I thought i was hearing bad valve tapping... they drove and brought it back and said its normal just the injectors ticking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts