Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks me and my schools SAE Mini Baja team ( http://www.baja.org.vt.edu/ ) are driving up to Lake Linden, MI (way upper left of the state) for a winter/snow competition. Ill be driving my X up there. I've never driven anywhere where its as cold as it might get there. Is there anything I should do to the X before driving up there? Lighter oil or anything like that?

We are also hauling our trailer with a GM 2500 diesel truck. We are getting a block heater for that beast but is there anything else we should do to the diesel or watch out for while we are up there?

Hopefully you Canadians can help me out with this one.

·
on line
197 Posts
Have a piece of cardboard (and tie-wraps) available to cover the radiator!! Tacky looking but should keep the cabin cozy if it hit's sub-zero.

(former IA/MN resident)

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good tip... keep em coming

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Dude, you dont need to do anything special to your X. Ive been driving around in zero degree weather for a while now, no problems. Just remember, dont slam on the breaks when going down hill, youll slide, and dont think you can drive fast in 4 wheel drive, you cant, you will still slide off the road if its got enough ice on it. So dont drive like and azzhole, and you will do just fine.

·
on line
95 Posts
Agreed! Drive right, and all should be well. Good tires, and maybe some traction help - small bag of sand and a shovel - or the OEM carpet floormats you tossed in the garage when you bought the all-weather ones... :)

for the X - make sure the fluids are right. right mix in the antifreeze, maybe some low-temp de-icer in the windshield fluid...

for the Diesel (as I own one too) - the colder it gets the harder it gets. Be nice to it. The block heater is a good present for it, but realize that a really big engine takes a long time to warm up.

·
on line
197 Posts
Creek said:
krucam said:
Have a piece of cardboard (and tie-wraps) available to cover the radiator!! Tacky looking but should keep the cabin cozy if it hit's sub-zero.

(former IA/MN resident)
Yet another reason I love this forum.
What? Like you've never done this?!?!
[/sarcasm]

These are the realities of living where it get "real cold" as opposed to mid-atlantic "cold". -30F changes everything (waiting for some of our Canadian X'ers to chime in) with how you spend 5-6 months of the year.

With aluminum rims, around -20 or -30 you can come out in the morning and find 4 flats on your tires, for no apparent reason, if you don't have bead sealer. Talk about a suck-ass start for your day.

Jumper cables and a blanket replace truck tampons for mandatory add-ons. Don't forget the straps and foldable shovel.

Pour a little "grain alcohol" in your wiper fluid resevoir...once those lines are froze, only a warm garage is going to unfreeze 'em. Nothing sucks more than getting road spray on the windshield and no way to get them clean.

Don't buy a white vehicle cause it's harder to find when you go in the ditch during a white-out. Luckily most people have cell phones with the GPS/Emergency Locator feature now.

If you're lucky enough to have a garage, don't forget to plug your car in at night (block heater), ...the list goes on.

I don't miss it whatsoever BTW! I love the weather of the mid-atlantic...we have a winter, just not a friggin' brutal one.

·
on line
76 Posts
All Great Tips. It's been -45 windchill here in Minnesota. Its way TOO cold; and all the talk about global warming. One thing i'd add to the list is some chains. To help get pulled out or to pull people out. Be sure your air pressure is correct to when driving. When it goes from 30's to the negatives big change in tire pressure.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Last year when was posted to Wainwright Alerta there were some days that were -50C (-58F) before the wind chill and nothing really worked well. With the X plugged in it would start and eventually warm up but expect your liquid crystal dash displays to take a while to work properly. Keeping your tires at the right air pressure is difficult unless you have your tires filled with nitrogen gas, much more stable when it's cold. Right now we're in a bit of a cold snap with temps around -25C (-13F) and I don't notice much issues with the X, plugged in overnight or not. As for the cardboard over the front...well your thermostate should take care of regulating things well enough unless it's really cold for a long time. (Only refering to X your diesel might be diff matter) Do be aware that you tires will harden and provide less traction but unless your on ice you should be fine. Drive more slowly. The traction control does an amazing job keeping pointing the right direction. I have stock tire on my OR and have driven through snow storms without issue.
As mentioned in previous post have some things like tow strap to help others or yourself, jumper cables, blanket, candle, snow shovel in the back just in case. Oh and most definitely have cold weather washer fluid, don't know about the grain alcohol and the rubber bits drying out, but with cold weather washer fluid I've never had a problem. I've never used chains, but I imagine they work really well. If your using your vehicles systems, radio, lights whatever then you should have it running, battery drains fast in the cold.
Everything will feel stiff and you'll have more squeaks and rattles.

·
on line
131 Posts
You'll be about 1 1/2 hours north of us here in Mid Mich. The best thing is to have the cold weather washer fluid that won't freeze on you. When I first moved here last Jan., I had the stuff used down south where it doesn't freeze. My washer nozzles were frozen for about two weeks straight! Couldn't clean the windows for nothing. Be prepared to see a lot of snow. That area gets lake-effect snow like crazy, and that's where all the ski hills (actually bumps) are. My X does just fine in the cold without much winterizing.

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. I need to get some cold weather washer fluid. I guess im more worried about the diesel than my X.

·
on line
20 Posts
If you're gonna be parked ouside o'nite, and really cold temps are expected, put a light (plugged in, and on, of course) beside the engine....works really well, in a pinch enough heat to make for an easy start next AM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts