Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all of y’all’s lifted tanks, lifted and looking nice. I wanted to lift mine up with new shocks, but sadly I’m a college student, I sold my car and made a small profit buying the X, wanted to splurge on mods but might save it for emergency’s.

give me 5 years and I’ll have my rig really going, in the meantime I hope I get lucky at scrapyards.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Save your cash for maintenance and repairs while you finish college.
There will be plenty of opportunities to mod your Xterra once you graduate.

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro4x
95 Posts
I agree with saving the cash for Important stuff. You can always do small upgrades like changing out existing lights inside and out to LEDs or adding a cheap storage net on the ceiling. Stuff that will keep you interested but won’t break the bank. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Save your cash for maintenance and repairs while you finish college.
There will be plenty of opportunities to mod your Xterra once you graduate.
Yeah I need new struts, and almost got a lift kit plus 5100. Opted for the 4600s for 300 bucks. Would have been almost 7-800 for a lift plus 5100.

maybe in the future.

·
Registered
2011 Pro4x
30 Posts
If you arent lifting, is there still any benefit to buying the 5100's? Certainly you might be able to lift in the future with minimal effort but what about ride quality etc? Otherwise, 4600's all around for me too...

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you are counting expenses like this than "building" the truck is not for you , at least for now.
I have a lot of disposable income but even I cannot justify to myself spending the thousands it needs to build it up.
I just tell myself its a PRO4X to begin with and that has to be enough.
Otherwise I keep the maintenance perfect and fresh tires on it (IMHO the largest factor in overlanding is mechanical reliability and tires)

I also run the car on mid range.
Why even though the car calls for 87, isnt that wasted money?
Well it increases the safety reserve against knock and microknock.
it is a 166,xxx miles vehicle in a Florida summer at low elevation.

All these are factors favoring summer-knock, which if detected as incipient by engine would lead to a down powered fuel-timing map to be used by the engine.

·
Registered
811 Posts
College and university degrees are signalling devices. Two people can have the same degree but the individual who actually worked hard and paid attention will be much more capable of getting things done.

What you learn now can affect your career and economic outcomes much later in life.

Besides, a stock X in the right hands can go just about everywhere.

I would focus on making your X as safe and reliable as possible. For people who do not smoke tobacco, drink heavily or source opioids from the street, travelling by automobile is the most dangerous thing they do on a regular basis.

Maybe take up backpacking or ocean kayaking? A lot of North Americans who live passive life styles spend their final years as opioid addicts. Many of those people ultimately suffer dementia.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Instead of focusing on how it looks, throw a good set of tires on it and taking it out wheeling in stock form. You'll be surprised how capable these things are. Plus, with an aggressive looking set of AT's or MT's Xterra's can look pretty good without a lift.

I have a busted up old 2007 that has scratches and rust in nearly every panel, but it runs like a top (except for the crappy cats) but I love the thing. It's all stock except for a set of 285 KO2's. It's taken me everywhere I've tried to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instead of focusing on how it looks, throw a good set of tires on it and taking it out wheeling in stock form. You'll be surprised how capable these things are. Plus, with an aggressive looking set of AT's or MT's Xterra's can look pretty good without a lift.

I have a busted up old 2007 that has scratches and rust in nearly every panel, but it runs like a top (except for the crappy cats) but I love the thing. It's all stock except for a set of 285 KO2's. It's taken me everywhere I've tried to go.
thanks man! They have some cool 31 in tires but 33” are definitely next once these are gone

·
on line
307 Posts
I had a stock Xterra except for better tires for 150k+ miles, and I never got stuck, took me everywhere I needed to go

Sure, it’s more capable now, Titan swapped, front and rear lockers, full armor, winch, but that only let me go places that weren’t roads

·
Registered
2011 Pro4X 6SM Night Armor
409 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined try some of the mods on your own or ask around the forum for local members
I am sure someone will assist you
Look at the for sale post here sometimes there are good deals but have to act fast
Good luck and enjoy the truck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are mechanically inclined try some of the mods on your own or ask around the forum for local members
I am sure someone will assist you
Look at the for sale post here sometimes there are good deals but have to act fast
Good luck and enjoy the truck
Yeah I’m doing shocks on my own and will do stuff like bumpers, sliders, skids on my own too.
Maybe will try engine stuff down the road too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Before throwing any money at your X, I would first just ride it and enjoy it. Given the state of economy nowadays, I would be very careful with my money. If you really need to mod your truck right away, start from installing a rear differential breather or oil catch can. These two will not brake your budget and make huge difference down the line! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before throwing any money at your X, I would first just ride it and enjoy it. Given the state of economy nowadays, I would be very careful with my money. If you really need to mod your truck right away, start from installing a rear differential breather or oil catch can. These two will not brake your budget and make huge difference down the line! :)
Actually got one coming soon! The rear diff breather seemed like an easy mod

·
Registered
811 Posts
Actually got one coming soon! The rear diff breather seemed like an easy mod
Easy, inexpensive and one that will save on future maintenance.

Make your X safe. Do stuff that will save money down the road. Worry about fancy mods after you graduate.

·
on line
2007 Xterra Off Road (stock)
25 Posts
I also run the car on mid range.
Why even though the car calls for 87, isnt that wasted money?
Well it increases the safety reserve against knock and microknock.
Not to hijack the thread but I found this quote interesting that with 185000 miles I developed a terrible knock and a sensor high circuit bank 2 code. I'm currently getting around it using 89 octane. Perfect timing at $5.40 a gallon in Central Jersey.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts