Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering if theres any real numbers calculated for the rear with way bar and without. Ive notice with the sway bar, sum say theres a dramatic difference but only by butt feeling but are there any real flex numbers out there? Thanks in advance. Reason i ask, just got my extended radflo ultimate kit from nisstec with some spc arms and rear shackles n brakelines. Ive read lots of post saying or not mentioning they put rear extended lines. Nisstec said if i was to keep 1-3" lift rear shocks id be find but if i went with 2-4" rear shocks then he recommends them, so definitly got them.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i've got some pictures with and without the rear sway, and a pic with the rear sway installed and the front removed to compare.

lifted 2" with both sways:

same lift with rear sway off, notice that the front tire is about a 1/2" off the ground:

same lift again with front sway removed, rear sway installed, notice that the flex before lifting the tire in the rear is about the same as in the first pic:
photo courtesy mumianasty

I haven't gotten a picture with it really flexed out again since pulling the rear sway (now running no sways) but i can "feel" that it flexes much more now.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This makes me want to find a ramp of sorts, and see what kind of flex I have with and without the front sway bar. I took my rear off and don't plan on putting it back on... Hmmmm, now to find a ramp, or maybe a forklift.....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Dont know if it is relevant but an online search found an 01 Xterra had a ramp travel index of 422. Not familiar with 01's so dont know how the suspension differs. That is pretty low compared to the others of the same era.
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/rti.htm

This makes me want to find a ramp of sorts, and see what kind of flex I have with and without the front sway bar. I took my rear off and don't plan on putting it back on... Hmmmm, now to find a ramp, or maybe a forklift.....

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Dont know if it is relevant but an online search found an 01 Xterra had a ramp travel index of 422. Not familiar with 01's so dont know how the suspension differs. That is pretty low compared to the others of the same era.
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/rti.htm
yeah, the real way to determine effectiveness would be to find an RTI ramp and find out. the score is determined by how far a front tire can travel up the ramp before lifting a tire off the ground. the distance is measured on the ramp and then divided by the wheelbase. 100 inches up the ramp on a 100 inch wheelbase would be a 1000 score. it also depends on the angle of the ramp, so you can compare apples to apples, but thats the jist of it, i think most are 15 or 20 degrees.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love this site. Thanks so much every1. Its my DD so i thought of leaving it on but then again imma take it off. Here in hawaii we dont have freeways of ramps to merge off to so i think ill be fine. I do have the relocation brackets but ill leave um off. Ill try to flex mine when its done. Should be done this saturday
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
767 Posts
Honestly you cant tell that the rear sway bar is missing unless you are towing something. I didnt notice much more body roll when I pulled mine off. However if you pull both off, you can notice.....

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Honestly you cant tell that the rear sway bar is missing unless you are towing something. I didnt notice much more body roll when I pulled mine off. However if you pull both off, you can notice.....
yep, there is not really a noticeable difference in body roll between having the rear sway or not with the front sway removed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Agreed. I've had my rear off for quite a while and never really noticed a difference around town. The front on the other hand, I can notice a really large difference with body sway and town driving when my front is disconnected.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Any body got a quick disconnect for the front?
Posted via Mobile Device
Considering you can remove the two 17mm nuts in about 2 minutes, how much quicker do you need it to be?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Tool less would be nice. I hate digging my tools out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think the issue would be that once disconnected, the front sway doesn't neatly tuck out of the way like they do on a jeep. if you disconnect one side, it could still get into the tire or cv joint on the disconnected side. removing it for wheeling is not really very easy if you have an offroad or aftermarket skids, as it requires partially removing the radiator skid plate to get off.

still, its not like you were going to be autocrossing your X with the sways on to begin with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts