Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of removing my sliders in order to clean them up. That means 24 self-tapping bolts to be removed and re-used, or removed and replaced.

(I know: 24 holes - what were you thinking? Options were more limited at that time.)

Would I be better off, since sliders are always going to be banged up anyway, just to do the best I can with the sliders remaining bolted to the frame?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've been fighting the same battle. I'm pretty sure one of these days Im just going to tape up the entire side of the X and rattle can them in place.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
^^

I will probably be doing this with mine as well. I don't see any need to take them off unless I change them.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Mask the lower panels and clean them really well with paint thinner or acetone, then pain them in place. I like a hammered finish.

If I were to ever take mine off, I would have some 1/4 inch steel plates made and welded onto the frame, then redrill and tap the steel plates where the sliders bolt on and bolt the sliders onto those. I've often wanted the sliders just a tad further out, and screwed into a 1/4 inch plate would be a bit more secure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I figured the hassle of protecting would be less than the hassle of removing and reinstalling. It's comforting to see unanimous support.

·
on line
462 Posts
Welded plates work well, just tough as hell to hand tap 24 holes in a small confined space. I have uninstalled and done three repaints. I just wish the duplicolor would last longer with UV. Check my sig for a close up pic.

If your not in the mood to weld, tap and bolt on, just mask the truck and paint those suckers.

I have no regrets having bought AJ's and they have and continue to save my okole.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Yeah what I meant was to drill and tap the plates on my workbench with my drill press first before welding the plates to the frame, just forgot to say and took it for granted. I will definitely do this if I ever take the sliders off again. In the meanwhile I have considered putting a couple of tack welds on the mounting plates to reinforce the (loctite glued) bolts. Something I could easily break with a chisel...but I haven't bothered and the bolts are fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts