Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RE: Discount Tire/ Cooper Discoverer ATPs

I wanted to post this since I had talked bad on here about them and not warrantying their crappy tires.

Out of the blue today I popped into a Discount tire down the road from me here in NC today to see if they would do anything for me since I'm so unhappy with them. I calmly told the guy my story and went and looked at my tires and said he would see what he could do for me. I wasn't expecting much, but he was the tire warranty guy and he hooked me up. I have a set of 265/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S IIs on order and they will be $553 installed OTD with road hazard. He gave me $76/tire credit and half off the road hazard. I think that's more than fair.

I left there and went to Firestone to have my alignment checked again since its never been done at 70k miles. It was still within spec so no charge.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hate that I'm putting hwy tires on it, but the only offroading it sees in NC is the beach, dirt roads, snow, and the occasional job site for work. I need quiet and smooth. I wanted the Michelins, but didn't want to pay their premium. This made them a no brainer for me.

285 Posts
Well crap. I just won some used ones on eBay from Discount Tire. I guess if they are crappy, I'll Craigslist them and pass them on to someone else.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were noisy from day one, but they started cupping on me and got obnoxious. The were so bad that I felt vibrations at low speeds. They also had worn more than I had realized. They were down to 7/32. I rotated them every oil change and I had my alignment checked twice and it was within spec.

It was my first and last experience with Cooper. The guy at Discount Tire was a cool guy and he he was their tire warranty guy. He was telling me that they have had a lot of cupping issues with them. I was originally going to get Dueler A/T Revo IIs, but he said they have had the same problem with them. He said the same thing about The Goodyear Wranglers (whatever they call them now). He called Goodyears Good for a year lol.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The Michelin LTX's are IMO the best highway/light off road/allaround SUV tire. Had them on my Trooper and made it home (50+ miles ) in a blizzard in 2WD- didnt even realize 4wd wasnt working due to locking hube clips on the front. Cars were off the road all over . They will be on the short list for X tires and any suv in the future I should own. That price is awesome as they are normally $200+ per tire w/o install

I wanted to post this since I had talked bad on here about them and not warrantying their crappy tires.

Out of the blue today I popped into a Discount tire down the road from me here in NC today to see if they would do anything for me since I'm so unhappy with them. I calmly told the guy my story and went and looked at my tires and said he would see what he could do for me. I wasn't expecting much, but he was the tire warranty guy and he hooked me up. I have a set of 265/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S IIs on order and they will be $553 installed OTD with road hazard. He gave me $76/tire credit and half off the road hazard. I think that's more than fair.

I left there and went to Firestone to have my alignment checked again since its never been done at 70k miles. It was still within spec so no charge.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm pretty happy. Thanks. My father raves about them. He got 100k+ out of them on his Frontier and he just got a set for his Ram at like $1000. He says its worth it due to the tire life. I just wasn't willing to pay that much for them.

These were my alignment specs from when I had it checked again today. I'm really impressed by that considering that I have 68k miles on it, its never been done, and I've offroaded a good bit.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well crap. I just won some used ones on eBay from Discount Tire. I guess if they are crappy, I'll Craigslist them and pass them on to someone else.
I asked the guy at Discount Tire what they are going to do with the tires since it said "keep tires" on the bottom of the receipt. He said that they will sell them as used tires. That's kinda shady IMO. Buyer beware about buying used tires from Discount Tire.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Used tires to me are like used mattresses, underwear etc.- I dont want any part of them. If the tire is to be a spare and looks brand new maybe but not for driving daily. Knowing that some companies will sell defective tires is alarming

I asked the guy at Discount Tire what they are going to do with the tires since it said "keep tires" on the bottom of the receipt. He said that they will sell them as used tires. That's kinda shady IMO. Buyer beware about buying used tires from Discount Tire.

285 Posts
I had Michelin LTX M/S on my Explorer. Improved the ride ALOT. I only got rid of them due to age and cracking from age and vibration. Still pry only wore down a third of the tread, maybe half at most.

I was considering another set, but after comparison shopping on Tirerack, I opted for Firestone Destination LE2. Ratings are very close in the Highway All-Season category between the two. I basically bought four of the LE2 for the price of three LTX M/S2. Paid around $440 total mounted/balanced/tax at a local Firestone dealer.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the tires installed. Wow. Night and day difference. Completely silent, smooth, and they even ride a lot better. The steering feels better too. If this keeps up, I'm one happy camper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
57 Posts

The Michelin LTX is the best highway tire that I've ever experienced. Had the A/T version on our previous X, wife has the highway version M/S on the QX56 now. Great tires, considering their intent.

I have Hankook Dynapro HT on the X I purchased last fall, and I don't think they perform nearly as well as the LTX M/S. In fact they suck in wet / snow conditions. But they are mostly brand new so I'll deal with them till I can afford new rubber.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I haven't heard one negative thing other than the price. It's like driving it when it was brand new again. I forgot how quiet and smooth it was. Man those were horrible tires. Even worse than I had realized.

The guy who gave me the great deal on the tires personally installed them. Exceptional service.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here it is emasculated with 265/75/16 LTX M/S2s. They look smaller to me, but probably just because it's more of an all season tire.

It's the right move given my uses, and I love the way it drives, its just weird not having a/ts. :(

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up. Used tires to me are like used mattresses, underwear etc.- I dont want any part of them. If the tire is to be a spare and looks brand new maybe but not for driving daily. Knowing that some companies will sell defective tires is alarming
Stop saying things that I agree with. It's weird and freaking me out. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I just drove on the hwy for a while. At 80 mph it's completely smooth and quiet. It doesn't even get unsettled on rough pavement anymore. I can't get over the difference. It's like night and day. I'm realizing that those tires were even worse than I had realized.

It even has the power back that it had with 31s, the steering feels better too. I assume it handles better but I haven't pushed it. I also can't believe how quiet my Xterra is. It feels like I'm driving a new car now. Car not truck. In a good way though...

·
on line
7,141 Posts
Your step rails are immaculate.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Lol. That's because I had them off the whole time I lived in CO. I put them back on because I have customers in and out of my Xterra a lot and it helps cut down on stone chips and door dings. My rockers and the front of my rear wheel arches have waaaay too many stone chips.

It's actually dirty in that pic. I wash it every week now so it looks presentable for work. I waxed it for the first time ever this spring.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have had the ATP's for 32k now and have had no issues from mine. The wind noise from them is annoying at times but I absolutely love mine. They have worn great and they are rotated every 3k with oil change. I have had these tires in all weather conditions and they have been fantastic.

Now if I had the chance to get Michelins for that price I would have them right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts