Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you get the bumper yet? I ordered mine around the same time you did (9/11) to get in on the layaway sale. Mine showed up Tuesday, same spec as yours. Looks BEAUTIFUL! I installed it last night, just need to adjust it a bit today to close up some gaps. Anyhow, yours should be here soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It is interesting, I was skeptical. I installed it and not only did I get the benefit of the slight boost in power from advanced timing in the tune and my adjustment, but my mpg's actually went up to 13L/100km from 14-16L/100km. Stock I was getting 11.5-12L/100km and now I'm fully Titan swapped 35's etc. with only a 1-2mpg hit, blew my mind! Just have to resist the urge to stomp on it :p

Americans don't get the same price benefit though, since here in Canada (at least in Ontario) the price difference between premium and regular is about 12-16 cents, in the US is can be as much as 30 cents. With my two gas tanks, I save $20 per fill-up (In Canada) when you factor in the higher cost of premium fuel.

Ya, the gearing will help. The 3.36 isn't much of a jump though. The axles are like $1000CAD and you need the ABS lines/censors most times, plus whatever the install cost is if you can't do it yourself.

Alternatively you can get 4.083 gears for the C200 ($855USD) off of RuggedRocks and get a 4.10 for the m205 ($310USD). No need for another axle and you are getting a much better ratio. Expect ~$1000 CAD to install front and rear, at lest that's what I paid. I guarantee you will want more if you just go with the 3.36 and will end up spending the money later. Better to just save up and do it once, just my opinion though.
That's great actually! Premium is about 22c more here, but still acceptable. I have a military discount card for Petro that saves me 3c/L for 100L a month. Not much but it helps.
The Bullydog was at my door after work today, so planning on installing that this evening!

I did find a M226 3.36 in Lethbridge for $750 with all the fixins. I'd like to go that route to gain the e-locker too. You are right though, I have been thinking about regearing the diffs before install, still debating that since I will be running Titan 17s and 34"s most likely.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did you get the bumper yet? I ordered mine around the same time you did (9/11) to get in on the layaway sale. Mine showed up Tuesday, same spec as yours. Looks BEAUTIFUL! I installed it last night, just need to adjust it a bit today to close up some gaps. Anyhow, yours should be here soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
No, not yet. :( I got an email saying it's in shipping dept now. So I do expect to see it head my way in the next day or two (Tuesday at the latest, I'm hoping). I'm so anticipating it's arrival. I have a buddy lined up to help with install, and going to pre-wire my lights this weekend! haha.

Did you notice any issues in the install? Something to look out for while I do mine. Also, did you post any pics? :geek:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Expedition One looks really nice. How long was the lead time ? I think this could be my choice of front bumper! And are you going to be installing a winch. ** Subscribed. **
Thanks! It's a great looking bumper. It was quite a long lead time (approx 4.5 months including Christmas). I'm not sure if the holidays contributed to the lengthy wait or what, but I am very happy with the product!

I will be installing a winch shortly, just waiting for a good sale on a 12k Smittybilt with synthetic line or something similar if the price is right.
Hey Nick, could you show a pic from the top where the bumper meets the headlight? I want to see what the gap is.....still waiting on those other pics LOL
For sure! Sorry for the wait on pics, way overdue for a clean up and shots. Got carried away with installing the bumper and snorkel :p I'm off work tomorrow so I will likely get her all cleaned up and get some glamour shots (then promptly go find a trail haha!)

·
NewX’er 4life
2,499 Posts
Here's some photos I dug up from the day I installed the Katzkin leather:

@PhullD The gap on the light is actually pretty minimal.

Not bad on the covers, some of the wrinkles should flatten out in the summer. My Corvette had a custom leather glove box cover that would develop a wrinkle in the winter but was tight in the summer.

Hmmm, I feel that bumper is a bit close to the headlight, you should be able to stick your finger comfortably between the two so that if it flexes it won't break anything. Any adjustment left in the bumper?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Not bad on the covers, some of the wrinkles should flatten out in the summer. My Corvette had a custom leather glove box cover that would develop a wrinkle in the winter but was tight in the summer.

Hmmm, I feel that bumper is a bit close to the headlight, you should be able to stick your finger comfortably between the two so that if it flexes it won't break anything. Any adjustment left in the bumper?
The leather has already settled pretty well, but I'm sure the summer will help a lot too.

There is some adjustment left, yeah. I gotta readjust the brackets slightly to close a gap between the bracket and bumper, I'm sure I can get it shifted down slightly.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Looks nice! Wait...when is the winch getting installed ? LOL
Soon, I hope! Looking for deals currently.

A local guy is selling a Warn Zeon 10k for a good price, but also looking into a new Smittybilt X2O 10k for the warranty.
If I pop the grille off, I can shoehorn a winch in there fairly easy. Lots of space. If it comes to it, I can also just uninstall the bumper, it's only 6 bolts and they're fairly accessible (leaving the frame horn mounts).

I'm just currently torn between purchasing a Titan M226 with e-locker first, or going with the winch and staying on 3.13's for the foreseeable future and just let my M205 rot on my workbench :cry:.

And thanks @Boostall! I agree. It's a great looking bumper. Really suits a titan-swapped X :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The titan m226 will need the shock perches re-done and there is something wonky about the brakes I remember reading where it was a PITA to deal with. Get Bora 2" wheel spacers like the rest of us and you can use the extra bit of money you saved towards a different rear end or re-gearing.
There was (apparently) a couple models that had some different brake set-up but as far as I know it's plug and play. I'm not worried about the spring/shock mounts, that's fairly easy.
The reason I'm contemplating it is that it's a relatively low mile axle, compared to the other affordable Xterra m226 (with near 300k kms) but only about $300 more.

From what I've read, it seems not many people have really done the swap, and those that have done it have had minimal issues besides the parking brake and the weird brake set-up on certain axles. I'm willing to give it a shot and document what I can for the sake of the X gods.

The one I've found should be a direct swap, so long as I move the mounts, and it includes the ABS lines. I may need the companion flange that @bigskypylot was mentioning on FB.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,499 Posts
There was (apparently) a couple models that had some different brake set-up but as far as I know it's plug and play. I'm not worried about the spring/shock mounts, that's fairly easy.
The reason I'm contemplating it is that it's a relatively low mile axle, compared to the other affordable Xterra m226 (with near 300k kms) but only about $300 more.

From what I've read, it seems not many people have really done the swap, and those that have done it have had minimal issues besides the parking brake and the weird brake set-up on certain axles. I'm willing to give it a shot and document what I can for the sake of the X gods.

The one I've found should be a direct swap, so long as I move the mounts, and it includes the ABS lines. I may need the companion flange that @bigskypylot was mentioning on FB.
You'll also have Titan hubs in the rear and Xterra in the front too. I guess if you start off with a c200k you consider more out of the box thinking because you don't already have an e-locker and compatibility with a lot of the gearing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
You'll also have Titan hubs in the rear and Xterra in the front too. I guess if you start off with a c200k you consider more out of the box thinking because you don't already have an e-locker and compatibility with a lot of the gearing.
Yeah, I do plan on swapping to Titan front spindles/hubs in the future too, as well as the brake booster/MC. I have very thin adapters (18mm) for the front that I will run after I swap the axle out.
That's basically why I'm looking at this swap too, I have a 3.13 C200k axle. I could just do the Xterra axle and be done with it, but I like trying new things from time to time. Plus the 6x5.5 bolt pattern is tempting, since I'll be in the market for wheels/tires soon too.

·
Veteran
585 Posts

if yours is 08+ the spline count is 24, the X has a 6 bolt companion flange and the Titan is 4. The 04-07 Titan had a 4 bolt 29 spline flange. Mike D said that he will fit the 6 bolt/4 bolt flanges (08+) and then just drill the the 4 bolt out to fit the 6 bolt

41 - 59 of 59 Posts