Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 Xterra S at 180k Miles / Shocks & Struts brand new within ~30k Miles

A couple of weeks ago, I began hearing a loud rattle sound every time I made a right turn with speed above ~5mph (Sounds like an empty red bull can getting thrown against the ground. The sound coming from beneath the wheel/floorboard) I did some research and it seemed like it could be caused by a bad CV Axle.

Took it to the Nissan dealership, they quoted me $4,300 for a Cat Converter and Timing Chain replacement despite no check engine light. I was pissed, to say the least. (The dealer has previously been fair with heater & starter replacement parts, typically I don't go to a dealer first..) It seems ridiculous the cat would cause a rattle ONLY when I make right turns, let alone the ridiculous quote (damn near the value of my X)..... Long story short, I told them to go pound sand and I dropped it off tonight at a mechanic I trust. I plan on getting an accurate verdict tomorrow and hope my X can recover strong but I am sure my concerns are well communicated here.

Main Point: Has anyone had a similar issue? It seems like the dealership just rubbed me off on a fence post and did NOT want to deal with diagnosing my issue at all despite my accurate descriptions of the issue. I will never walk foot on their property again. I am curious if anyone has had to get their cat or timing chain replaced and at what mileage, and if anyone has dealt with this issue. I take pride in keeping my X well maintained and the fact this came out of nowhere and then to get a quote that large had me concerned. I am hoping I get great news tomorrow, just curious regarding anyone who may have had a similar experience!

Dalton

·
Registered
75 Posts
This may be totally off, but have you made sure it's not just the exhaust system rattling? The fasteners at each of the small heat shields where the exhaust attaches to the frame (I think there are three or four small heat shields) get rusty and break after a few years, but they may not fall off - you have to wiggle them to see if they are still tight. The exhaust system will rattle against the heat shields if it's loose at all. In my case the rattling was intermittent - it would only happen if I turned a certain way or accelerated just right. I replaced all of the fasteners with hose clamps and it's quiet now.

You can easily test this theory - just crawl under the X after the exhaust has cooled and try moving the exhaust pipe with your hand at each heat shield to see if it moves. The exhaust pipes should be tight against the heat shields with no play at all.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
couple things.. if your cats are bad( should throw a SES) and timing chains need to be done( no light) then $4300 isnt super crazy..

now it does sound like they didnt really take the time to properly diagnose your issues, or maybe they just couldnt replicate it and told you about some stuff they thought was in need of R/R.... getting another look/ quote is not a bad idea.

I would do a few things, as 11orX mentioned, check the heat shields. also check the front suspension components. just grab stuff and see if its loose or tight, axles, control arms, etc.. jack up the front of the truck and see how much play is in the wheels, could be a bad bearing..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for responding, it means a lot to me. My local mechanic took a look at it and could not replicate/hear the same sound I heard. I am test driving it for them tomorrow morning. Hard to believe they didn't hear anything because I haven't turned right without hearing it for weeks. Maybe they tightened something and fixed it as you guys said? Wow, I hope to God that is true but after all I have been through over this, I hate to have put myself and others through my stress. Oh well, long live another day and hoping for good news :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts