Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Name has been applied - Scorpin-X, though I haven't moved forward with my stuff from Creepy yet. Been a rough summer for non-essential funds.

Username: Ratmyr
Name: Scorpin-X
Year: 2013
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Red Cayenne

Mods:

EXTERIOR
Euro-style Antennae - installed
Step rails - installed
Front plate holder - installed

DECALS
thenewx sticker - installed

INTERIOR
Scorpion Steering Wheel Cover - installed

Comments: - This vehicle will not be used for rock crawling, rather more overland style to take out on easy or so trails, camping and so forth. It is my daily driver as well, so I do plan on spending a lot of time in it. After I get back from Florida, I do want to plastic dip the wheels, grille/bumpers and the roof rails, as well as the emblems (if I leave them on).

Future items include tinting (they didn't tint to my requested levels) and security package (only factory - wasn't on lot long enough for them to install theirs). I do want to get bumper replacements (especially back to get tire out from underneath) and associated addons to handle the weight, but this will be down the road.

Photos:
My old 2010 OR (sold to friend) and the new 2013 Pro-4X (Stock Images)

Standard white gauge view

Night gauge view

Added thenewx.org sticker

More pictures will follow. And yes, they did put the pin-striping on there. They said they pin-stripe all vehicles to make it more unique for the customer. Planning on taking the white strip off. Haven't decided on the black yet. Thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
great color! nothing has changed on the gauges from 12. they went with white stiching for 13 from red. how do you like the new stereo/navi/backup camera? bet its nice to finally have a outside temp reading!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great color! nothing has changed on the gauges from 12. they went with white stiching for 13 from red. how do you like the new stereo/navi/backup camera? bet its nice to finally have a outside temp reading!
Thanks. I wished they had kept the red stitching (as well as the grey/red seat covers).

I like the stereo setup. I am not used to the backup camera yet, but everything else has been fun to play with. What takes a bit to get used to. Bluetooth audio streaming. When you switch to this on your radio, your device you are streaming from start to autoplay. And if I changed the mode, it continues to play. I was trying it out this morning and went past the mode using the steering wheel selector. Well, it had auto-started my book on the phone. So when I finally got back to the streaming mode, it had been playing for half a minute. Tested several times and it did it every time. So going to see if there are ways to control it from the steering wheel or what. I know the USB interface for the ipod/iphone allows control, but my phone is a Galaxy Note.

I do like having the integrated navigation. I never kept my old unit as I didn't get the enclosure for it and I didn't want to stick something to the dash. Not that I need it for my daily driving, but it is nice when looking for places in Tucson.

And yeah - the temp is nice to have. Just wished it was amber. Makes no sense why they went with something so different color than the rest of the lighting.

I like that color setup
Thanks! Been waiting awhile, and absolutely loving it. :)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Man that red is just sweet ! Is that the back up camera on the rear hatch next to the nissan emblem ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So - on my way home from work and someone ahead of me was nice enough to pick up a rock (in their tire) and sling it at my windshield. I think that combined with the heat from outside was enough to give me a spider web chip. Just a few days driving it and already have to have the windshield worked on. :angryfire:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So - on my way home from work and someone ahead of me was nice enough to pick up a rock (in their tire) and sling it at my windshield. I think that combined with the heat from outside was enough to give me a spider web chip. Just a few days driving it and already have to have the windshield worked on. :angryfire:
Got the chip fixed in the windshield. This is my first time having a fix done and not a windshield replaced, so was not expecting to still see the damaged area once they fixed it. Guess I expected it to magically disappear.

Now that I am back from my trip, planning on getting my tinting done. Also will have to find some time to take it up into the mountains and get a nice shot of it for a future TOTM submission. Never expect to have it much more than stock look, but that's ok - I am quite happy with it.

....just wished I could find a way to make the head unit go back to map display when I change listening modes. I prefer to drive with the map showing, and hate having to reach to change it. But no option to change it back after a delay.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So in the 2014 thread, I made a comment concerning a wish list item I would like them to do for the head unit. Decided to move it here so that I wasn't taking the official 2014 thread off-topic.

Here is my issue. When you have the headunit displaying the map and you make a call, it changes the screen to the phone display. It will not return to the map display either during the call, or after the call has been completed. You must physically use the MAP button to get it to go back. And this happens whether you use the phone, menu or voice recognition call. If you receive a call, it seems to stay on the map.

It would be nice if there was a setting that after a set time, that it would go back to the previous screen you have, or at least after the call has been completed. Or a way that when you press and hold down the MODE button, that you can set it to go to a specific screen.

I tried this with both navigation and map. I can somewhat understand the map display, though I don't agree with it. But navigation is quite stupid. The phone display will have the information for your next turn on the right hand side, but it doesn't go back to the navigation map at all until you hit the button.

For some, it may not be an issue to have to hit the button every time, but for me, the button is the furthest button on the interface and the leaning forward for someone with back issues gets old fast. And it sucks to change it and then another call comes in and you are having to change it again.

If not a setting, how about custom voice recognition command "display map." That should be an easy fix I would think.

Just my thoughts on the head unit.

Charles.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So using this thread to document things I find out about the 2013 X.

Yesterday, while driving home with navigation on, my wife called me. Just as we started talking, the navigation warned of an upcoming turn. So I told her I would have to turn it off before we could keep talking. Thing is, it would not allow it to be turned off. You cannot execute the navigation menu items while in a phone call. The only possibility was going into settings and turning the voice off or turning the sound level down. But no way to cancel the trip navigation. As soon as I hung up, I click on the navigation menu and it popped right up.

So just a note you might want to keep in mind. No setting either to tell it to mute voice directions during a call. :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know of any tricks to disable the "safety features" of the navigation system? I was getting irritated yesterday as we were driving to Tucson. My wife was driving and I was trying to find the address for a business. Because we were in motion, it would not let us do anything (kept displaying some sort of "pay attention to your driving" message on the screen). Only way I could use it was have her pull over. :(

I was really looking forward to the navigation unit when I bought this, but I see one day replacing it because of these stupid little issues (not being able to cancel navigation when receiving a call - or at least mute; issues with the unit not going back to map mode; and then the "safety features).

Oh well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Is your "newx" sticker on straight? lol

I had to find something to be picky about... :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is your "newx" sticker on straight? lol

I had to find something to be picky about... :)
Nope. Had mentioned that in the members for sale forum where I purchased it. It looked straight when we started the process, but during the application it slid. And I didn't want to remove it and then it not stick again. So just left it like that. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Factory navi all have this feature because if it didn't and someone was playing around while driving and crashed the would get sued for a lot

Factory nav is crap most of the time and Nissan should have put it in Nd put the money elseware

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Its a new experience for me, as I have not had factory navigation in previous vehicles. My wife may have had in her Jeep, but I never drove it, so never dealt with it. Always utilized the portable Magellan we had if I needed one (especially when I went TDY to sites I was not familiar with like L.A.).

I understand why they have it, and reading some of the writeups on Crutchfield for other AVN products outline similar issues as I pointed out with the picking a destination while the vehicle is moving, so it will be hit or miss whether I will get beyond that. For now though, it doesn't outweigh other things that I would like to get (tinting, bumpers, etc).

Charles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2013 xterra

ratmyr...quick question on the color of your cayenne red xterra....looking at your pics...looks nice...on the Nissan website...where you can go and look at the colors available....the cayenne red looks much darker than your pics......looking to buy a 13 model,,,i have NOT seen a cayenne red one in person...what is closer to the real color....your pics or the darker one in the website? Thinking of either a silver one or the cayenne red....Thanks for your input.

don

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would say my pics - there are a couple that have shade but the main one in the light seems to match it. I think the one on the web is just a tad darker than what the vehicle actually looks like. The Cayenne is darker red than the lava and the lava also can look orangish depending on the lighting and angle.

I love the color and the only other color I would have liked more is a extremely dark red they have on the Altima - the Crimson Black. But I could not convince them to even attempt to request it from the manufacturer. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts