Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Random "Slip" and "VDC OFF" Lights 'ON'

138K views 286 replies 145 participants last post by  TeXas-Hooligan 
#1 ·
Last night when I was coming home, the slip and vdc off lights were on the whole way, and I couldn't turn the vdc off off with the button. I stopped to get some beer and then only the vdc off light was on on the way home, which wouldn't go off. then finally I tried again in like 10 minutes and it went off. WTF????

#27 ·
I was struck again by this curse. First the ABS, VDC off and SLIP lights where locked on. So I was close to AutoZone and went to have the codes read. Well those jacka$$ don't read codes on Sunday. WTF. So I turned the X off and re-started and got the Diff Lock and VDC off lights.

Now no lights.

#28 ·
well this morning only the engine service light was on... nothing recorded on the history so they just reseted the light and now no more lights. No chanrge no problem

#31 ·
Muzikman said:
Sounds like spending $100 on a code reader might not be a bad idea. :)
True, but i shouldn't need it. Maybe I will ride over to Autozone later.

Edit: I just crawled under my X and my passenger side bottom shock bolt was gone and the shock was just hanging there. Could be part of the issue. I just re-torqued that bolt two weeks ago because it was loose.

Hope the dealer carries that.

#32 ·
kokopop said:
Muzikman said:

Edit: I just crawled under my X and my passenger side bottom shock bolt was gone and the shock was just hanging there. Could be part of the issue. I just re-torqued that bolt two weeks ago because it was loose.

wow... that's scary.

#33 ·
kokopop said:
Muzikman said:

Hey, welcome to the club. I had the same thing happen about 6 months ago. The dealer has them and they run about $3.

#34 ·
Yeah apparently the dealers around here don't carry them. In fact one parts guy insisted that the lower shock mounts to the leaf spring plate. I told him to look at an 06 diagram and not an 04.

Should have a new pair on Monday. $10 for 2. I just have to buy new washers.

#35 ·
Will it finally happen to me. Jumped into the Xterra this morrning and the 4WD, BRAKE, ABS, SRVC ENG SOON, VDC OFF, SLIP lights were all illuminated. I tried re-starting several times, but no luck. And upon further driving I noted that the speedometer and curise control didn't work either.

Mileage at time of incident 6950
Outside temp: 39 deg.
Checked brake fuild level = Normal.
Checked shock mounts = inplace/normal.

> Still have appointment at dealer for tomorrow.

#36 ·
Weclome to the club. I just installed my new shock bolt. However, the stupid dealer only ordered me the bolt without the nut. Ugh.

So I just sent brian at Turnersville nissan and note about ordering me up some extra bolts and nuts.

#40 ·
Happened to me today, too. SES, VDC OFF, and SLIP light were on for about a 20 min. drive home. Turned it off and restarted with only the SES light on now. Its happened before, and the SES light stayed on for a few days and then went off. I figured that I had the gas cap on wrong or something. Seems that I have read somewhere about that issue, too (causing the SES light to come on, but not the others). I took the gas cap off and put it back on with about 5 clicks. We'll see what happens.

#41 ·
UPDATE: 4 Hours later when I started truck all lights returned to normal, except the SES light and the speedometer and curise control are once again working.

POST DEALER UPDATE: SES Light reset; cause unknown. Dealer stated it was an intermediate communication problem and he wanted me to leave the vehicle there so he could drive it around all day to see if it came back on. I declined the offer and inform him if it did come back on, I would bring it back in.

NOTE: I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but the only thing that I did different the night before these lights came on was reset my Mileage Trip Counter.

#44 ·
It did it again. Jumped into the Xterra this morrning and the 4WD, BRAKE, ABS, VDC OFF, SLIP lights were all illuminated, but no SES this time. I tried re-starting several times, but no luck. And again the speedometer and curise control don't work. It also appears that my odometer isn't working either. If they are still on/not working tomorrow, I will be going to the dealer again.

Tango Yankee Muzikman; printed that thread to give to the dealer, as someplace to start.

#45 ·
Anyone know what a code U1000 means? On a whim I had my mechanic (not a Nissan mechanic) read the codes, and that is what popped up. We looked in his shop manuals, but couldn't find that particular code. He read it again, and then there were no codes, so he reset the SES light. I did a search on this site, but came up empty.

#46 ·
UPDATE: Went to the dealer amd they plugged it in and it indicated that the status of the VDC System was unknown. At the time the 4WD, BRAKE, ABS, VDC OFF, SLIP lights were all illuminated, but no SES this time. The Speedometer, Odometer, Trip Mileage Counter and Curise Control didn't work. They stated that they were going to take the print out and talk to the Nissian Help Tech and try to accertain cause of the problem(s).

UPDATE1: A couple days later the SES Light came on. I also noted that the Vehicle Security System wasn't working correctly, in that, when you locked it via the key fob the doors would lock, but the horn wouldn't beep once. When you unlock the doors via the key fob the doors will unlock, but the lights wouldn't flash once for driver door or twice for all doors.

UPDATE2: Have another appointment, (Thursday), at the dealer to have them work/ trouble-shoot on it, while talking with the Nissian Help Tech on the phone to try and problem(s).

#47 ·
Well at least you cornered them when it was all happening (lights on) Hope they can chase it down. But you figure with computers they would have found it. I am thinking a bad ground. Cadillac had a similar problem with same type reports. It was a ground at the kick panel (Caddy has On Board readable codes and diagnostics with "Picture Taker" where you can record a problem for dealer to look at later when you get there.) And that is how they figured it out.

Dash "Freak out's" are more often than not ground related as many systems share a common ground. Next bump you get your ground back and everything is normal again.

MC

#48 ·
USMC XTERRA said:
I am thinking a bad ground. Dash "Freak out's" are more often than not ground related as many systems share a common ground. Next bump you get your ground back and everything is normal again. MC
That's what I was thinking and now it getting worst, like maybe the ground is getting cut in half slowly, effecting more systems.

#51 ·
kokopop said:
When in doubt replace the entire wiring harness. :bounce:
LOL that's what you should have done when your trailer lights were jacking with you? LOL Funny though. I swear it's a ground around the driver kick panel area, but mine has to do it to get me to look for it LOL
Sorry Navy! :) Although I thought I seen one under the cup holders!
And Kokopop, I transferred your post on the Air bags to the How to. A hem read your mail! I figured out what triggers it, Removing the wires off the back of the Pass Air Bag Off light. My case anyways. I notice a lot of people have the problem when installing stereos and that leads to removal of same panel/ wires. MC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.