Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months ago I went wheeling in the mountains and drove through a river that was about 2.5 feet deep, the first time through there was no problem, a few minutes down the trail the radio and all the gauges would shut off then turn back on, on my way back when I went through the river a second time the same thing happened but the engine would surge from idle to about 2k rpm then return to idle with the gas floored. After I got out of the river it went away, I let the car sit for about 12 hours and have never had the problem again. Fast forward to today, I was driving up a hill and the car cut out six or so times, I had to shut the car off then turn it back on and it repeat, during this procedure when I would turn it on the 4wd light would be on and no 2/4 wheel indicator. I would rev the car to about 2k rpm and the gauge cluster would die again. After driving it around town for a while I got onto the highway and started home but after about 30 seconds at 4k rpm it died again. I did the same procedure, pull over, shut off the car, turn it back on, and have yet to have any more problems.

I talked to a few people and they said they thought it could be a connector to the cabin computer, if anyone knows where it is that would be wonderful. if you don't think it is that then feel free to throw in any of your thoughts or ideas.

thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
What’s the output voltage of the alt, battery and have you tested it yet? Start gathering info for the hive mind :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Some random dude
358 Posts
The today cutout, was there also water involved? I have a weird issue where if I am driving in enough water (ie: through puddles during the rain, in slush, etc), the 4wd indicator (not the 4wd light, but the actual 2/4wd indicator in the tach) flashes. Haven't been able to track down what does it, but I do suspect there is a wire somewhere that is exposed and shorting out when it gets wet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The today cutout, was there also water involved? I have a weird issue where if I am driving in enough water (ie: through puddles during the rain, in slush, etc), the 4wd indicator (not the 4wd light, but the actual 2/4wd indicator in the tach) flashes. Haven't been able to track down what does it, but I do suspect there is a wire somewhere that is exposed and shorting out when it gets wet.
In the "today"situation there was absolutely no water involved, it wasn't even humid out and probably hadn't rained in a week. I will have to get under my car and look for anything obvious with the t-case wires.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
It’s why I was asking for numbers. Our trucks are sorta picky lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I have not responded for a while life got a little hectic, the voltage at rest is 11.9 and at idle is 13.8. While I did my inner tie rod this weekend I noticed a large electrical connector under the passenger rocker, I have no idea what it is for (if you know chime in please) but I will pull it apart and check for water/corrosion given that it was definitely below water level and is most likely to have water in it. Thanks for all your help so far!

·
Registered
417 Posts
12.6 v
It doesn't sound like a big difference but it is.
In my experience once it gets below 12.2 it behaves weird. It will start, but wont respond to throttle, cluster blanks out. .. etc.
If your battery wont hold a charge, now you're taxing the alternator., which will shorten its life.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@IntellectualRedneck

Looks like you were correct, I drove to the mountains and had my car start cutting out repeatedly, I had my copilot monitor the voltage reading on my ham radio and it would go from 13.8 on start up, then drop to 12.6-12.7 when I was driving, upon further investigation I found that the power steering pump (which was replaced less than two years ago) is leaking on my alternator and (I am assuming) has caused it to fail. I will here soon replace the power steering pump and alternator to hopefully get this problem over with and bring my truck back to being as reliable as they are notorious for. Thanks for your help, it would have taken a lot longer to narrow this down without your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts