Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Why is this product recommended with stock height vehicles? Or do they mean you shouldnt add this to supplement any other kind of lift on your rig?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
according to rancho this shock is to be used to increase ride height to allow for larger tires....from a quick sema video i saw about the shock they mention nothing about it's use off-road.

my assumption is the shock is not to be used in conjunction with any other lifting option

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My guess the spring perch on the shock is just placed higher to give you added life. As far as off road use, I see no reason why you couldn't use it. Also, There would be no point in using the AC coils if it already gives you 2.5" of lift.

Remember, unless you replace them the UCA's are what is going to limit your height in the front.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
you still use the factory coils, the only thing begin relaced is the strut

i know MC expressed concern in the ability of this strut to support the weight of the X...i haven't seen any data to suggest either side to this statement...i would look into that further before diving into this mod.

·
on line
155 Posts
Check out this link... 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Mag did an install on this kit back in Feb. I've been told from 4Wheel parts that the parts to lift the rear are still unavailable. Looks like a good cheap solution. They did a follow up on the lift kit in the May issue I believe. Considering this if the Radflo's are a little too steep in price for me.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0702_4wd_2006_nissan_xterra_suspension_upgrade/

·
on line
1,695 Posts
The price at Summit seems reasonable to me, if it is indeed $180 for the pair. Regular RS9000's are $90 a piece whenever you look, so even the $150 at AC doesn't seem too ridiculous since it is a strut, not just a shock (though the huge price difference between the two vendors makes me wonder if somebody isn't pricing them wrong). If you wanted a lift and different shocks, I think this would be a very good option. I think I'd prefer a spacer lift still, though, on an OR anyway. I don't see the point in ditching a perfectly good set of Bilsteins (though I'm sure they would be easy enough to sell, which would cause you to break about even probably).

What is with the differing lift heights listed on AC's website, too? Not like it is adjustable (lift). Obviously they just raised the coil seat a set number of inches.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I'm reaaalllyy tempted. I'm just waiting to see how they install and perform. I pulled out that old SUV magazine, and realize they like it. I just wonder how the long term testing is going. Has anyone pm'd Mageditor? If Summit has a temporary pricing glitch, and I could get them for $190 shipped I (I'm on the last step to checkout on Summit's site), I'd kick myself if that price doubled. I know Bruzer wants a set, just talked to him this weekend, and his mind is made up. Who's gonna try this?

·
on line
68 Posts
As for supporting the weight of the X.....they should be fine. Shocks do not suspend the weight of the vehicle. It is "suspended" on the springs, and the OEM springs are just fine. However, If you intend to put armor or bumpers on you'll need more preload than the stock spring provides. Otherwise. you'll prolly lose a good portion of the lift these shocks provide.
And yes, you can see in the pix that the non-adjustable spring perch has been elevated on the shock body to provide the lift. Great cosmetic lift....wouldn't take it froadin'.

·
on line
82 Posts
xtatik said:
...However, If you intend to put armor or bumpers on you'll need more preload than the stock spring provides. Otherwise. you'll prolly lose a good portion of the lift these shocks provide.
And yes, you can see in the pix that the non-adjustable spring perch has been elevated on the shock body to provide the lift. Great cosmetic lift....wouldn't take it froadin'.
I understand the preload issue. How is this any different than the spacer solution?

The way I see it we only have a few options for the front. Spacers which notoriously make contact with suspension parts The AC springs that are more densly coiled than our stock springs, some people have even had problems getting the spring compressor to fit in the voids to get them on. These quick lifts with the higher bracket. Or the expensive Radflo solution which is probably out of my budget.

I know Muzikman posted that the height of the lift is limited by UCA. Does anyone know if these Quicklift struts are longer than the struts we have on stock? Would they allow more travel if someone was to replace the Upper Control Arm?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts