Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my stock Bilstein front shocks with a set of Rancho coilover shocks like the ones pictured here:

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/shop_image/product/52a6fd29213503ce7b1e7fcec44bfa44.jpg

My questions are:

I'm currently running AC front coils. I'm pleased with these springs but the Bilstein shocks are fully extended (or nearly so). Are the Rancho coilover shocks longer? If so, by how much? Any additional information about these shocks would be greatly appreciated.

tks

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I think sexterra is running these. I doubt that they are longer because the AC coils are not longer then stock, just stiffer.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If I am thinking about this right, it wouldn't matter if they were longer, the shock is the down travel stop (right?) so if they were longer you just run the chance of hitting the UCA on the spring bucket.

Now, Steve wouldn't have this problem as he has the TC UCA's, but anyone who doesn't, that will become their bump stop.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Chances are they aren't longer, but they do offer you 9 different valving options at anytime.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
they are stock length.

muzik wrote:
you just run the chance of hitting the UCA on the spring bucket.
Jason's right about the longer shock here.

the do have a larger shaft which does ultimately make them stronger and can avoid the bending and seal damage that others are now reporting

·
on line
315 Posts
I can't see my front shocks lasting much longer (they aren't bils) so I'll be looking to upgrade soon. I'm going to stop modding the X (going back to school) so I'm not going to lift anymore. Without those UCA's I'm going to leave the shock as the limiter.

Anyone know anything about ProComp shocks? They have a lifetime warranty (not so with the Ranchos) and I was thinking about doing all 4 at once.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I got Pro Comps ES9000's on the Jeep and like them.

How do you get this lifetime "no questions asked" warranty for the shocks though? I ordered them from 4 Wheel Parts and no where did it talk about this type of warranty. They have a lifetime warranty from defects and workmanship. But it specifically states that if the item is bent or dented that it's not covered.

·
on line
315 Posts
Well, I would expect anything dented/bent not to be covered. But if the shock goes bad without visible damage, it would be nice to have it covered.

·
on line
80 Posts
When I put on AC coils 2 weeks ago, I put on & tightened the top 3 nuts first, which left the suspension fully drooped - with the UCA resting on the coil bucket. I had to lift the suspension up to get the lower strut bolt in, but I don't remember exactly how much, but I think it was about 1".

So, I have been thinking of adding a 3/4" collar (spacer) to the strut shaft, above the collar that holds the protective boot, below the washer on the underside of the coil bucket. This would in essence move the strut travel down 3/4". The threaded end is long enough to do this. The only worry is on full compression instead of hitting the bump stop, you would now fully compress the strut and damage it. In hindsight, I should have measured the suspension travel with the strut removed, and the strut travel with the spring removed - and figure it out from there.

I think the problems people are having with blown struts are not due to the strut shaft being too small in diameter, but you are now driving around with the strut almost completely extended. This moves the two bearing surfaces very close together - one bearing surface where the shaft exits the strut, and the other the piston against the inside of the strut chamber.

Thoughts?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the stock bump stops with the new ones that came with my UCA's. The stock bump stops are nothing but hard rubber slabs. I think you can get some better bump stops at places like autozone. They're at least 1 inch taller than the stock crap and they're cheap ($10). That should help a lot during heavy/hard compression.

I'm thinking about adding a 1" extension to the strut to relieve the extended Bilsteins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts