Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of these a couple weeks ago in prep for my snow trip, and actually had the opportunity to use them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049YDIAM/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know they are no Max-Tracks or anything, but for the price and the size, they actually worked out quite well, and are small enough when folded to fit in the cargo well next to my tire cables.

Because of their design, they cannot be used as a small bridging tool or shovel like the MaxTracks, but they are also dirt cheap in comparison and gives me just a tad more peace-of-mind knowing that I have something that I can use to help me out of a situation..

When I made my snow trip, I pulled off the trail to park and play in a meadow filled with powdery snow. While doing so I kind of snow-plowed up onto a snow bank and got the truck stuck. I tried rocking it from reverse to drive a few times, 4-low + Rear locker wouldnt get it out either, so I decided to give the Grip Tracks a try. I wedged the short end under the tread on the rear tires as much as possible, jumped back in the truck and was able to back right on out like I was on gravel. Very little drama and they worked like a charm.

If your looking for a cheap, stowable traction device, these fit the bill for me. That being said, Im still considering picking up some Maxtracks for longer, further from help trips, for additional peace-of-mind.

Hard to beat for $30...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've got a set in my gear box that have come in use a couple of times. They're easy to carry and while not the best on the market are always better than nothing or using a jacket and pillow (people I helped who were in a rental car stuck on a snow drift).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was also looking at those and it didn't get many good reviews so I passed on it.

Instead I added this to my cart http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV2HONS...UTF8&colid=5B3QFENMT6BZ&coliid=I2XL1T26BNORYU

Looks to be more sturdier.
While I agree, those are likely much sturdier and probably a bit more effective, they are also quadruple the price and not as compact for everyday storage in the rig.

Im not saying that the Rampage tracks are the end-all be-all traction ramps, but they are good for the money and my limited usage of them in snow, for when I was genuinely stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts