Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my newest addition is a Ram Mount arm for my Compaq TC1000 (Tablet PC). The model that fits the 05-06 X's is RAM-VB-154-SW1. There is a slight modification needed. The spacer and longer bolt they give you is not long enough. Here is what I used.

3/4" x 2" Black Iron Pipe Nipple
(2x) 3/8" washer
3/8"x1 1/2" Fender Washer
10mm x 1.25 pitch x 3" long Hex Bolt

Tools needed:
14mm Socket
1" Hole Saw
Drill
1/2" wrench

1. Assemble the bottom half of the Tele-Pole to the no drill seat bracket (I used blue lock-tite on the bolts as once the bracket is in place you can no longer get to these bolts)
2. Take out the two front bolts on the pasanger seat (14mm)
3. Use the 1/2" hole saw and drill a hole in the center of the bolt cover on the door side of the seat.
4. Put the Ram Mount bracket into place and finger tight the bolt closest to the console.
5. Place a 3/8" washer on the 10mm bolt, place the bolt through the bracket, place the 3/8" fender washer, place the 2" black iron nipple, place the 3/8" washer, then tighten it down.
6. Tighten both bolts to specified torque (can't remember what it was, but I'll look it up again).
7. Assemble the rest of the mount.

It takes up quite a bit of space in the passanger seat and makes it hard to get to the clove boxes, but it will be so much better than trying to lay the laptop on the seat or having the passanger hold it.

I'll have pictures up shortly, I did not take any during the install, but it's so simple I dount you need photos.

·
on line
210 Posts
Thanks for the info - I am currently shopping for the same thing.

Can't wait to see the final (installed) result. Can you display some with someone in the passenger seat.

Thanks

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I must be behind in the times, what do you use a laptop in your X for?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Bueller44 said:
I must be behind in the times, what do you use a laptop in your X for?
If you are nice you take pictures/video of what the person in front and behind you does when wheeling. At stops, you exchange cards, put them in the media card slot and download the images into your computer. Or Just to empty your card so you can take more pictures.

OR if you have a mapping program, you can also have it display your GPS info. BIG SCREEN STYLE!

Watch a movie while you wait your turn?

Link into your Scan Gauge 2 in Aug.

Just some examples.

MC

·
on line
39 Posts
Coolio Musikman!! I''ve got the same thing!!! Ive also got the swivel base & the quick release. The quick release is awesome!!!

One thing that dawned on me when my girlfriend was sitting in the passenger seat w/ the laptop mount installed:

God forbid I were ever to get into a head on collision to where the passenger side airbag deployed or a moderate enough front impact, The laptop mount poses a huge danger to anyone sitting in the passenger seat in the event of a small or moderate frontal impact where the airbags are deployed. If the airbags were to be deployed, my laptop would either give my girlfriend not-needed "plastic (& silicon) facelift" or crush her chest or throat. I recommend anyone getting this laptop mount to get the quick release & use it only when needed.

Better to be safe than sorry (really sorry in my case)

my 2 cents

cipher

·
on line
189 Posts
cipher77 said:
Coolio Musikman!! I''ve got the same thing!!! Ive also got the swivel base & the quick release. The quick release is awesome!!!

One thing that dawned on me when my girlfriend was sitting in the passenger seat w/ the laptop mount installed:

God forbid I were ever to get into a head on collision to where the passenger side airbag deployed or a moderate enough front impact, The laptop mount poses a huge danger to anyone sitting in the passenger seat in the event of a small or moderate frontal impact where the airbags are deployed. If the airbags were to be deployed, my laptop would either give my girlfriend not-needed "plastic (& silicon) facelift" or crush her chest or throat. I recommend anyone getting this laptop mount to get the quick release & use it only when needed.

Better to be safe than sorry (really sorry in my case)

my 2 cents

cipher
Or a great way to get rid of someone?

I would agree with the quick release. Pics please?? :bounce:

·
on line
210 Posts
MidnightX said:
What about this as an alternative?

http://www.airdesks.com/CarDesk.asp
I woudl't trust that - It does'nt seems to be attached to anything. It will fly around in an accident...

Muzikman said:
That would be fine if you didn't have a passanger.
I'm not using my Ram Mount if I have a passenger - I don't want to sse the RamMount & the Laptop driven in my passenger when the airbag will deploy...

Just my 2¢

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eXTra fORt said:
MidnightX said:
What about this as an alternative?

http://www.airdesks.com/CarDesk.asp
I woudl't trust that - It does'nt seems to be attached to anything. It will fly around in an accident...

Muzikman said:
That would be fine if you didn't have a passanger.
I'm not using my Ram Mount if I have a passenger - I don't want to sse the RamMount & the Laptop driven in my passenger when the airbag will deploy...

Just my 2¢
It should be low enough for the air bag to go over top. I am however putting in a bypass switch for the airbag.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I get to Tag on to Muzikmans How to!
Mosi sold me this Ram Mount and helped me install it! LOL Ahhhh don't try to install one after working 9 day straight and on 3 hours sleep. LOL
Anyways. It's really simple and quick if you are awake.

Here is mine, I am amazed at the positions this will get into, if you can't find a good spot, something is wrong. I kinda wish it was a little lower though like 3 in. I may do that. My BB under there is my Sprint Broadband modem. I can surf at 80 MPH! My wife had a connection 90% of the 1850 mi trip to Moab and she would have liked this Ram Mount that trip! My Stereo has Aux in Mini Stereo plug... Pop in a DVD and it really really sounds good @ over 1500 watts! My Power inverter also has a USB out Port for charging things like your cell phone, for you hiTech people.

From the back, you can see I choose to lock mine, yea they can get it but it won't be worth much once all that is busted up. A lock will keep it in the car on a short trip into a store better than none. Also I put on a USB light.

And this $30 Nissan "Auto Office" From Target really holds a LOT when wheeling, such as two drinks, and a junkload of other stuff ya have to check one out in auto Dept. Thule also makes them for $50 more than this one, Too rich for my blood. This can quickly be tossed in back.

I was going to try to fab something up myself to hold my Laptop, good thing I ran on this deal as a RAM Mount can't be beat!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I love my Ram Mount. Lowering it would be as easy as cutting both tubes and the piece of all-thread. Would probably take 10 mins.

I am currently looking to make a custom holder to replace the universal one. It's way too bulky for my needs and gets in the way a lot (when it's positioned where I like it, it doesn't leave much room above the shifter.

One thing to watch out for is in the summer with the A/C on, it blows right on the laptop. Wouldn't think it would be bad to have a cool laptop, but it starts to condensate, which isn't good.

MC,
Is yours one of the newer (correctly bent ones), or did you have to use a spacer like I did? They offered to send me a corrected one when i brought it to their attention, but it wasn't worth it, mine works fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts