Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 2013 Pro-4x? If so, am I correct that the navigation-equipped Pro-4x is missing the traditional radio station scan button that plays each station for about five seconds and then advances unless you stop it? (I don't mean the seek button that lets you move from one station to the next manually.) If I'm wrong, how do you scan the stations? I don't see any button for it or anything in the owner's manual that explains how to do it.

Thanks.
Agiorgianni

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Knightrider.

I don't see anything that says that in the manual. IT does mention scanning for the two others types of radios (without navigation). Please see below. Have you actually tried it on a Pro-4x with navigation?

Thanks again. Here is the quote from the manual:

"Tuning with the TUNE knob:
The radio can also be manually tuned using the
TUNE knob. When in FM or AM mode, turn the
TUNE knob to the left for lower frequencies or to
the right for higher frequencies. When in XM
mode, turn the TUNE knob to change the chan-nel.
SEEK tuning:
When in FM or AM mode, press the seek
buttons or to tune from low to high
or high to low frequencies and to stop at the next
broadcasting station.
When in XM mode, press the seek buttons
or to change the category."

There's nothing about scan at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry - I haven't been around for a bit due to the issues with my back/health (and not having much drive to check the forums) and then with the government shutdown - been hectic.

I will check my X when I leave today. I honestly hadn't tried it because I don't normally scan for channels. I already knew which ones I needed to program and did so. Plus, when I am not listening to the radio, I have a thumb drive plugged in with all my MP3s (80% of it is 80s) or streaming from my phone.

But will look into it more when I go home and then hopefully will post when I get home.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So I did the test and there is no scan feature where it scans, stops on a station for a few seconds and then resumes its scan. The only capability from the steering wheel or from the display is to scan to the next channel.

I did find an interesting graphical tuner that resembles the old AM/FM decks of old. Not sure if you can just leave it up and listen to your stations - but it was a cool look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All. I really appreciate your running the test Ratmyr.

I can't believe they deleted scan, such a basic and common function. That's one of my favorite radio features. My girlfriend and I use it all the time on my Explorer (I thought I was pretty much settled on getting an Xterra, but the compromises keep adding up). Scan is especially good for finding my favorite stations when my drive to another area and the presets no longer are valid. Continually pressing the radio or steering wheel button to find my favorites or something interesting to listen to doesn't sound like fun at all. Maybe they'll restore it in the 2014. I know they are tweaking the radio.

Thanks again!!

Agiorgianni

·
Registered
349 Posts
I doubt they will restore it in 2014 as, if news they put out late this summer is true, they already have the updates figured for 2014. Whether we see them or not, is a different story.

The button on the steering wheel isnt that bad to deal with - but it isn't as smooth as the scan function, I will agree. Mostly, I listen to XM or my USB drive, so scanning for stations when I am out and about isn't as big of an issue. But I do see your point.

I enjoy my X and glad that I went with it for multiple reasons. I do think the head unit has a lot to be desired for - and I know it is something that can be replaced. But it would be nice up front that it had all the features so that you don't have to make additional payouts. I can't speak about some of the compromises you may have, but if you do have any questions, please feel free to ask. I don't mind checking things out and providing feedback.

Good luck!

Charles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Charles. I really appreciate it.

The Nissan news item mentioned

Updated NissanConnect with NissanConnect Apps smartphone integration for iPhone® and Android, SiriusXM TravelLink (fuel prices, movie times, stock updates, sports scores) SiriusXM Weather and audio voice recognition​

So I thought maybe since they were monkeying around in there, they might realize they left out SCAN and put it back. Likely a long shot, though. Funny how it's still there for the S and X versions.

In many ways, I feel like car design is going backwards. I've mentioned my Xterra issues here before. The compromises for me are:

• No radio scan
  • No opening hatch window
  • No lights under hood, in glove boxes, doors, and visors
  • No light-colored interior option
  • Mostly plastic bumpers (alright, almost every car/truck is like that now)
And I'd have to modify my garage door to accommodate the height.

It is a great driving truck with a huge cool factor, and it's nearly the last SUV to offer a manual tranny.

But now, after being 99 percent sure I was going to buy the Xterra, I'm 90 percent sure I'm just going to make some body repairs to my manual 92 Explorer, which, with 111,000 miles, is still pretty much new in an out, top and bottom, (except for some rust) and be done with it. Saves me a net $27,000 and lets me be virtually the only guy still on the road with real metal bumpers :D.

Thanks again for your help!!! Enjoy your Xterra.
Agiorgianni

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I had to look at my radio to see if I had it. It does but I have never used it. One benefit to satellite radio is you never have to search for stations when you travel.

The 2001-2004 SE model head units had a feature that was nice for roads trips. They had a travel preset button. When you were away from your home area you could push it and it would find stations and assign them to your presets eliminating the need for scan. When you got home you would turn it off and all your original presets would be restored. It was a handy feature before I got XM, surprised they didn’t keep it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had to look at my radio to see if I had it. It does but I have never used it. One benefit to satellite radio is you never have to search for stations when you travel.

The 2001-2004 SE model head units had a feature that was nice for roads trips. They had a travel preset button. When you were away from your home area you could push it and it would find stations and assign them to your presets eliminating the need for scan. When you got home you would turn it off and all your original presets would be restored. It was a handy feature before I got XM, surprised they didn’t keep it.
That definitely sounds like a cool feature. The other day when I was looking at ways to do the scan/search, I went through menu options and pushed tons of buttons, but no luck.

I did see the note about the update to the head unit, and it was the topic of one of the emails I sent Nissan. I asked if those who purchased the 2013 could get a upgrade to the newer unit since they obviously fixed some things missing. They said there is no way (other than me buying it) but then offered me $25 below the dealer cost for a 2014 if I wanted to buy it. I was like - really, I just purchased this vehicle in June and you are wanting me to buy a 2014. Not sure what the dealer cost is and whether it would be worth my effort, but I'm happy. If I want more features - I won't be buying their upgraded model. I will more than likely get a different head unit that also provides DVD playback for times I am waiting to pick my son up from Karate or Scouts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't look like they're making that many improvements to the 2014 to justify a trade-in, especially given the significant depreciation you would have undergone on the 2013.

Even if you wanted to trade, that much below so-called dealer cost is probably something you could negotiate yourself with the dealer (I was $29 below dealer cost on my 92 Explorer 21 years ago!). If you check TrueCar pricing and some of the prices paid message boards on Edmunds.com, below-cost is not that uncommon.

If I were even contemplating trading in a 2013, I'd say give me $2,500 factory cash back and let me negotiate my own price with the dealer.

But again, for what? Heated cloth seats? Blackened rims? (Despite the enthusiasm others here have shown for them so far here, I think they'll just make the truck look darker and more drab and probably will show dirt and any scratches much more than the current ones.) I guess the additional smart phone interfacing might be of interest, but I believe in staying off the phone and concentrating on driving. I've never talked on my cell phone while driving. Outside temperature? Can't we just open the window and stick our fingers out? I guess the 2015s will have a little device that announces whether the sun's shining (which of course people probably will need since they'll be too busy texting to look out the windows) :O)

Good luck
Agiorgianni

1 - 13 of 13 Posts