Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rewired my CB directly to the battery in hopes of getting rid of the "whine" that I assumed was coming from being wired into the console socket, didn't work. Is there some sort of "filter" I can install that will take care of this?

·
on line
5,614 Posts
USArmyX said:
I rewired my CB directly to the battery in hopes of getting rid of the "whine" that I assumed was coming from being wired into the console socket, didn't work. Is there some sort of "filter" I can install that will take care of this?
I could be wrong but I remember from my CB days in the 70s that you would put some kind of filter on each plug (sparkplug that is)

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Yo Army, there are a lot of things you could have done, will do , might have done -

--Probably the BEST thing to do, is drive to a Radio shop and have them checkitout-OR

--Look on the Firestik web site and check out, TECH INFO, it might show you some ideas or NO NOs--
Good luck
-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
384 Posts
Is this a constant whine or one that matches engine RPM's? Just wondering if your ground has issues.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Popping comes from spark plugs, whine comes from AC voltage on the power leads. There are are alternator filters which will calm the noise down a bunch. They should be installed near the radio end of the power wires.

+1 on making sure your well grounded - both at the antenna base and the DC supply.

Good luck.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lyrex said:
Is this a constant whine or one that matches engine RPM's? Just wondering if your ground has issues.
It matches RPM. It is not terrible (I just don't want it to interfere with the transmitting capabilites) and I can only hear it with the squelch turned down. There is only one Radio Shop around here and that guy is hard to catch.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PaulXyZ said:
There are are alternator filters which will calm the noise down a bunch. They should be installed near the radio end of the power wires.
Can you direct me to what these filters look like or where I may find them?

·
on line
108 Posts
USArmyX I use to do car stereo installs and if the noise is in sync with the rpm's going up and down. It is a bad ground make sure your new CB is ground right where your stereo is grounded I forget why it happens. I can not count how many times I have seen this. I use to see it when people would ground there head unit up front under the dash and ground the amp in the trunk or on a seat bolt. you always want to ground everything together in any stereo hookup including CB's. At least move the ground to another location it may take a couple of try's. Another trick is to make your ground twice as long as your power line. Also you can up the gauge of the ground wire so if the power is 12 got to 10 or 8 on the ground. both of these tricks help absorb the alternator whine. Most of all make sure it is a good solid ground meaning right to bare clean metal. here I found this explanation posted on another site.
"The biggest offender of noise in the car audio environment is alternator whine. Alternator whine is caused by a difference in electrical potential (voltage) between two points. It's usually caused by a ground connection that is less than ideal. The main culprits are the amp, the head unit and any intermediate components such as crossovers and equalizers. Basically any component that touches the low level music signal (from RCA cables). It's usually cured by finding the source of the noise entrance and re-grounding that component." this would also include CB's. Hope this helps

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have never heard of making the ground wire longer. I have heard about making it shorter. I always ground as close to the device as possible with the shortest possible ground wire and I have never had a problem.

·
on line
108 Posts
Muzikman
I have never heard of making the ground wire longer. I have heard about making it shorter. I always ground as close to the device as possible with the shortest possible ground wire and I have never had a problem.
I agree with the shorter the better but you can not always find a good ground in a short distance from what ever device you are hooking up.
When I was still learning how to do installs,(well I never stopped learning lol) one of the guys in the shop had told me this was another trick to get rid of that whine noise I probably only did it 2 or 3 times and it does work. The short is if I remember right being longer helps absorb that whine.
In most cases centralizing all the grounds always worked. I learned really fast to centralize the grounds from the start. Also always run power, ground, and remote away from speaker wires and line levels inputs, you do not want to pick noise that way either.
USArmyX what happened to that whine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts