Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The consensus is that the Koyo A2807 is the best radiator under $200. The "2807" number is used by multiple radiator manufacturers with most being 1 row. According to some the A2807 may be made by TYC. Has anyone looked at using the TYC 2807 instead? It is a 1 row design and is very cheap at $62.

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-2807-Aluminum-Replacement-Radiator/dp/B0020MGA4G
I put the Koyo in mine a couple of weeks ago, its a direct fit and looks exactly like the stock one coming out except for a brass transmission cooler. Personally I have no experience with the model your looking at (TYC) but 62 dollars seems way too cheap in my opinion for such an important part, I wouldn't use it based on that price.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
. . . According to some the [Koyo] A2807 may be made by TYC . . . .
According to whom?

Also, you cannot rely on the illustrations/photos of radiators by the sellers on the Internet. They are likely generic photos. For example, the website you link for the Koyo radiator reads in red print, "Images used may be generic. Actual product may vary."

In my experience, saving a buck for a part of unknown origin rather than buying a brand that can be trusted is more expensive in the long run (especially when substantial labor is involved to install it.)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
According to whom?

Also, you cannot rely on the illustrations/photos of radiators by the sellers on the Internet. They are likely generic photos. For example, the website you link for the Koyo radiator reads in red print, "Images used may be generic. Actual product may vary."

In my experience, saving a buck for a part of unknown origin rather than buying a brand that can be trusted is more expensive in the long run (especially when substantial labor is involved to install it.)
I agree, a radiator replacement isn't a quick job especially if its the first time you've done this job on an Xterra.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
The radiator thread below:

"The box is labeled Koyorad/TYC, and radiator itself is stamped TYC. From what I can gather from looking online, TYC sometimes makes radiators for Koyo."

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40983&page=2
Some observations after reading that thread:

1. One poster bought a radiator from go-parts that came in a box with a "Koyo" label, while the label on the radiator inside is clearly labeled a TYC made in Taiwan.

2. Another poster references a Koyo box and a "QC" label.

3. Neither poster identified any "Koyo" markings on their radiators

4. Both posters paid approx. $107.

I checked the Go Parts website. It lists two radiators for the X - a generic for $139 (which the website indicates could be made by any number of manufacturers such as TYC, PBI, Visteon and Modine), and the Koyo radiator for $181. However, the page for the Koyo brings up the message, "product not found." The $139 price for the no name radiator is consistent with the $107 paid at the time of the 2011 thread you reference.

$181 is in the ballpark for the Koyo radiator. The radiator you found for $62 is almost certainly not a Koyo badged as a TYC based on price alone.

Another clue that the radiators in question are not true Koyos is the photo in the thread you linked showing "TYC" and "Made in Taiwan" labels on the radiator. Read these quotes from the Koyo website:

"Koyo Japan maintains strict control over both R&D and production practices from raw material selection to the end product. We have NEVER outsourced our radiator production to any other manufacturers."

"While our competitors are known to cut costs by outsourcing radiator components to 3rd party companies, Koyorad is proud of keeping its vertically integrated production process and quality control fully in-house to ensure that all components, assembly, and testing meet our highest standards. . . ."

I had a conversation with a Koyo tech guy a few months ago. He all but confirmed that there is a counterfeit and/or mislabeling problem with some Internet vendors. Koyo sells its radiators to approved distributors only. Radiator.com is one.

My advice, if you want a Koyo radiator, is to contact Radiator.com or Koyo themselves to find a distributor/retailer in your area. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My advice, if you want a Koyo radiator, is to contact Radiator.com or Koyo themselves to find a distributor/retailer in your area. Otherwise, caveat emptor.
Yeah, I got my Koyo through radiator.com (I called 1-800-radiator - same people). They pointed me at the closest warehouse (a few miles away from me) and I drove down and picked it up in person.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just tried radiator.com. Could not get a price quote without talking to a "rep". I don't want a middleman trying to get a piece of the action.

One reason I started this thread was the number of companies hawking a "2807" radiator.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Just tried radiator.com. Could not get a price quote without talking to a "rep". I don't want a middleman trying to get a piece of the action.

One reason I started this thread was the number of companies hawking a "2807" radiator.
Then maybe you should buy one of those "$62 specials" that you think is a Koyo. (It won't be, but you can't say you weren't warned.)

BTW, the radiator.com website can be a hassle to navigate if all you are doing is price shopping and are not a serious buyer. However, once you are given the number of the supplier in your area you can get a direct quote and decide if that price works for you. The price I was given was as good as anything I found on the Internet and the warehouse was only 20 minutes away.

Are you sure you're not stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Yea I almost went through them until they started that "Its a really specialized part and you'll have to talk to a rep so we can make sure its the right part" nonsense. Thats a huge red flag, something fishy about them. Anyway I paid 189 for my Koyo and that included shipping. It came in a Koyo box with Koyo labels.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The middleman is the guy working at the local distributor. Call the 800 number, they tell you who is local, and put you through to them. That person gives you a price. You like the price or you do not. The price I got was cheaper than anything I saw on the internet for the Koyo.

Or spend the $62 and report back what you will end up getting. We're all kind of curious now.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Alright, I'm bored at work right now so I thought I would see just how hard it was to get a quote from a middleman. I called them up and inside of 30 seconds they quoted $167 delivered UPS for the Koyo to Boca Raton. They are out of them locally so UPS was his option, but it could be delivered by Wednesday. I'm exhausted now from all of the effort.

·
on line
1,350 Posts
^^^^hahaha i did the same thing not too long ago. i was curious about the Koyo radiator.
i wonder if the Koyo radiator is just as good as the griffin radiator? I know the prices are substantial from one another, but i was just wondering are we just paying for the name.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts