Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. got a fun one here.

so i replaced my radiator last summer at 69K. got it all in and it has been working just fine. when i went under the hood this morning to put some new washer fluid in the thing i noticed the radiator was low in the brackets. i grabbed it on each side and was able to lift the thing about an inch.

i either didnt put it back together last summer the right way, or the brackets that hold it in are not working how they should. the upper tabs aren't even doing anything now. the posts that are supposed to stick up into those tabs are lower an the rubber things that go around them arent doing anything anymore. ill get some pics later.

any one have any ideas why my radiator is just loose in the front of the thing? bummer. hoping i wont have to take the whole bumper off this week to correct that.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Its held in the brackets from the bottom by two bolts and at the top by the two brackets that link into the nipples. Also check the side legs of the brackets themselves, unless those sheared off then its definitely the radiator sliding down the brackets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i checked the two lower brackets and it was still on the rubber pegs. i bent the top brackets down some so now they are at least contacting the upper pegs and rubber grommets.

the bottom brackets dont seem to have bolts. they just rest on the stand-offs wit the rubber pegs that go through the standoffs.

should the radiator move at all if it is attached properly?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
i checked the two lower brackets and it was still on the rubber pegs. i bent the top brackets down some so now they are at least contacting the upper pegs and rubber grommets.

the bottom brackets dont seem to have bolts. they just rest on the stand-offs wit the rubber pegs that go through the standoffs.

Mine didn't move at all when I installed the new one.

·
Registered
71 Posts

My aftermarket rad has done this exact same thing - I just noticed it about a week ago - about a month after the swap. Let me know if you find the culprit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i used all the bolts. and didnt have any let over. i'll have to get under it this weekend and take some of the fairings off so i can see what the culprit might be. just went out side and looked at it again. still a big mystery here. bending the upper brackets down a little help some with the side to side movement, but i am afraid if i get on any trails in teh future the thing will be able to bounce around in there. and thats not a good thing for any of the hard lines that go into the thing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the skid and bumper off on the creeper looking under the radiator. I still dont see any bolts or holes for bolts anywhere. Anyone have a picture of where these bolts are.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Are there rubber bumper/vibration isolators between the radiator and the lower mounts?

Seems my Titan had these in place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So after reading a few different radiator install threads and thoroughly looking all around the radiator assy, i've come to this conclusion about my 2011 pro 4x. There are NO bolts that constrain the radiator Assy to the frame. There are 4 points that hold it in place, the two rubber posts and brackets at the top, and two rubber posts that rest into the holes on both sides of the frame. Without bolts the radiator will wiggle as much as the clearance between the ID of the metal holes and the OD of the rubber will allow, the durometer of the rubber will also allow the radiator assy to wiggle slightly. There are two bolts (one on each bottom corner of the radiator that fix the radiator itself to brackets that are connected to the rubber posts that sit in the holes off the frame as mentioned in the beginning.

With two small C-clamps I held the lower brackets down to the frame. This allowed me to unbolt the radiator from the lower brackets and slide it up as far as possible, maybe a 1/8". There isn't much room for the radiator to slide down since the brackets are tapered at the bottom. (This didn't help really) The radiator was still sitting too low for the top rubber posts to work as intended. This means two things to me.

1. The two lower brackets welded to each side of the frame with the holes (for the corresponding lower rubber feet on the radiator brackets) have bent down... unlikely

2. The two lower brackets bolted to the radiator have bent upward, making the radiator sit lower than designed.

To go into more detail, the lower brackets that have the rubber posts are plug welded to larger (end cap like) brackets that run from the bottom of the radiator to the (top if I recall correctly). The plug welds aren't the most rigid so those themselves look like they flex a little.

Since my plug welds weren't broken and I didn't feel like removing the radiator I simply stacked a couple thick washers underneath the each rubber grommet on the top of the radiator. This raised the grommets to press them inside the top brackets. Now the radiator moves very little. A temporary fix but I am at a loss of what to do next other than replace the rubber grommets (unlikely to fix the problem) or replace the large lower brackets that bolt to the radiator.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So after reading a few different radiator install threads and thoroughly looking all around the radiator assy, i’️ve come to this conclusion about my 2011 pro 4x. There are NO bolts that constrain the radiator Assy to the frame. There are 4 points that hold it in place, the two rubber posts and brackets at the top, and two rubber posts that rest into the holes on both sides of the frame. Without bolts the radiator will wiggle as much as the clearance between the ID of the metal holes and the OD of the rubber will allow, the durometer of the rubber will also allow the radiator assy to wiggle slightly. There are two bolts (one on each bottom corner of the radiator that fix the radiator itself to brackets that are connected to the rubber posts that sit in the holes off the frame as mentioned in the beginning.

With two small C-clamps I held the lower brackets down to the frame. This allowed me to unbolt the radiator from the lower brackets and slide it up as far as possible, maybe a 1/4â€Â�. There isnt much room for the radiator to slide down since the brackets are tapered at the bottom. (This didn’️t help really) The radiator was still sitting too low for the top rubber posts to work as intended. This means two things to me.

1. The two lower brackets welded to each side of the frame with the holes (for the corrisponding lower rubber feet on the radiator brackets) have bent down... unlikely

2. The two lower brackets bolted to the radiator have bent upward, making the radiator sit lower than designed.

To go into more detail, the lower brackets that have the rubber posts are plug welded to larger (end cap like) brackets that run from the bottom of the radiator to the (top if I recall correctly). The plug welds aren’️t the most rigid so those themselves look like they flex a little.

Since my plug welds weren’️t broken and I didn’️t feel like removing the radiator I simply stacked a couple thick washers underneath the each rubber grommet on the top of the radiator. This raised the grommets to press them inside the top brackets. Now the radiator moves very little. A temporary fix but I am at a loss of what to do next other than replace the rubber grommets (unlikely to fix the problem) or replace the large lower brackets that bolt to the radiator.
Not much help, but wanted you to know that my aftermarket koyorad has about 1/4" of up and down play. If it were sitting that 1/4" higher the tapered top mount would hold it nice and tight, but the way it is it moves a little. I am kicking myself for not doing the install because I didn't see it go back together so no idea what it is. When I posted on here about it I didn't get much info except that a few others had the same issue. I did order some new rubber mounts for the bottom thinking that maybe they were compressed over time, but I have not installed them yet and I honestly can't see them compressing that much. I can't think of what else to do except take it apart and start over, but not sure that would even help. I'll be watching this thread to see if you get it fixed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey were in the same boat. Stick two or three fender washers under both rubber bushings up top. Thats what I did and it seems to work well holding it in place.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure that would tighten it up, but it just seems like the whole thing wants to sit higher and it drives me nuts that I can't figure out why. That's better than having the play though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts