Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done their own radiator flushes yet? I'm sure I've got tons of sand in mine and want to clean it out.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Sand IN the radiator? Like inside the coolant?

If you want to get grime out of the fins of the radiator.

Remove the front grill.
Remove the fan shroud (harder than it should be).
Spray it down with concentrated Simple Green.
Using low pressure / high volume hose spry from the back to the front of the radiator being sure to get the entire thing.
Once the water runs pretty clear, hit the front of the radiator with the hose.
Once the water runs clear, hit it from the back again.

Depending on how gunked up your radiator is, this can be a half hour rinse and use up a lot of water.

I found a hose attachment that has a bend at the end and a nozzle that can adjust from a shower to a stream. I use the settings that are in between.

The reason you do not want to use high pressure is that you can bend the fins on the radiator.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From all the mud I've put my truck through I'm sure some of it has dried out into some sand.

I think this might be my weekend project.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yep...

Every other wash, I spend some time running water in all those neglected areas. Once in a while I find a real gold mine of a nook and tons of mud, rocks, and junk come pouring out.

It's almost become a game.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be doing this soon.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, did some serious cleaning. Got a ton of dirt out was worth the effort.

Going to ask a dumb question, so if you can't handle them, turn away now.

I've cleaned the radiator before but this time really wanted to get it. There is the radiator then there is this almost little radiator in front of the big one. We'll call him junior.

What does junior do and why is he there?

Oh yea, also had to 4 cups of fluid to it...so 2x because of the 50/50 ratio. It was low!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
cornick said:
Alright, did some serious cleaning. Got a ton of dirt out was worth the effort.

Going to ask a dumb question, so if you can't handle them, turn away now.

I've cleaned the radiator before but this time really wanted to get it. There is the radiator then there is this almost little radiator in front of the big one. We'll call him junior.

What does junior do and why is he there?

Oh yea, also had to 4 cups of fluid to it...so 2x because of the 50/50 ratio. It was low!
Do you have an AT? Transmission cooler?

·
on line
152 Posts
if you have a auto trans then the thing in front of the radiator in the upper left (looking at the truck) is the auto trans cooler. If your talking about the thing about 2 in by 2 (very small and is just a pipe bend in a "U" with fins around it) then that is actually the power steering cooler. I actually didnt know these existed until i bought my X but i guess the power steering fluid needs a little cooling.

·
on line
152 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The part I'm looking at is 21305Y. Top left hand corner of the second link in your post.

It's an AT.

·
on line
280 Posts
Perfect timing on this post! The other day I too noticed that extra little radiator in front of the big radiator and was wondering if that indeed was a transmission cooler. Thanks guys!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
And also remember, your A/C condenser sits in front of your radiator which in turn leaves a space for mud to collect. That is why I suggest spraying from the back and front.

·
on line
152 Posts
wow i never realized the ac cond sits in font of the radiator too... there a shit ton of stuff in front of the radiator, i guess thats why its so huge

1 - 16 of 16 Posts