Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this heat exchanger for a project I never used it for. I want to use it as a radiator by pass with a 7" 500 cfm inline fan attached to it, wired into a thermostat and relay.

Do you think this is large enough to bypass both oem radiators? I want to decrease fluid resistance if possible here. What do you think? The radiator has a total of 14 rows @ 2" deep. One side of the radiator is split into two halves so fluid is pushed through the bottom 7 rows and out the top 7 rows. If you can tell from the picture, each row is separated by aluminum fins and each row internally has many horizontal fins running the length of each row. This radiator looks like it has some serious heat transfer ability.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAR-PLATE-FULLY-WELDED-ALL-ALUMINUM-WATER-TO-AIR-RACING-RADIATOR-W-DRAIN-VALVE-/281123879142?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I wanna mount it in the lower mouth of the bumper so it will get direct air contact and install the fan for low speed crawling when low air flow is a problem.

(are the soft tranny lines 3/8 or 5/16)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Ok if you're willing to spend 100 bucks on that, may I suggest a different route....and I will explain why.

First of all, I purchased this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274

Secondly, get a 10 or 11" electric fan with as high of cfm as you can find. I found one on summit for only like 15 bucks and it was like 500 something cfm, more would be better but mine works.

With that cooler you'll need a couple fittings for it which I found at harbor freight for cheap. I bought some steel to make brackets out of and I mounted the cooler in the stock location but removed the stock one.

This one is a bit larger, but it cools AMAZINGLY. I have my fan hooked up to a swtich so I can turn it on whenever I need to. I monitor my temps with a bullydog tuner.

The reason I say this one instead of the one u posted, is that I KNOW this one works, and also, I wouldnt put the trans cooler that low, especially if you're planning on putting a fan on it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok if you're willing to spend 100 bucks on that, may I suggest a different route....and I will explain why.

First of all, I purchased this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274

Secondly, get a 10 or 11" electric fan with as high of cfm as you can find. I found one on summit for only like 15 bucks and it was like 500 something cfm, more would be better but mine works.

With that cooler you'll need a couple fittings for it which I found at harbor freight for cheap. I bought some steel to make brackets out of and I mounted the cooler in the stock location but removed the stock one.

This one is a bit larger, but it cools AMAZINGLY. I have my fan hooked up to a swtich so I can turn it on whenever I need to. I monitor my temps with a bullydog tuner.

The reason I say this one instead of the one u posted, is that I KNOW this one works, and also, I wouldnt put the trans cooler that low, especially if you're planning on putting a fan on it.
I already own it so I want to use it. Its only 7" wide, it 10 or 11" fan wouldnt work. The 7" fan I would buy is 500 CFM and I can add two if I deem necessary in the future which I highly doubt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts