Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before I order my radflo's I just want some of your opinions on them.

I am wondering how they perform in the winter with harsh cold tempretures? In Canada tempretures have been as cold as -20 up to -30

For those of you who this applies to please let me now how they perform and does or has your ride quality changed at all.

I am looking at getting the 750lbs springs as I have a shrock front bumper

Thanks

·
on line
294 Posts
^ cold stiffens up the springs/shocks, making the ride a little stiffer.

that said, i like the way my radflos ride better in the spring/summer versus the 20*F weather we've been having, but it's still bearable. just gotta take the speed bumps a little slower or i'll bounce right out the window... :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I do not know specifically about the RedFlo's, my statements are broad across all shocks and actually hydraulics in general. When a fluid gets cold it gets thicker, when it get warm it get thinner.

My guess the RedFlo's can handle the heat with out any problems. They are used in desert racing.

·
on line
152 Posts
to continue with Jason...

just like a engine you can use different weight oils in shocks if you really want. This is easier than re valving them and a lot cheaper. Im sure the shocks are designed for a specific temperature range you just have to call the right person to ask them. And its probably on the hotter side of things.

from AMSOIL website

AMSOIL Shock Therapy Suspension Fluid Light #5 (STL) is recommended for, but not limited to, Showa,® Kayaba,® Bilstein,® RydeFX,® Penske,® WP® forks, RACETECH® (US1) and Custom Axis® suspension systems. Use Shock Therapy Light #5 where less dampening and quicker rebounds are desired. It is also the preferred choice for winter use.

AMSOIL Shock Therapy Suspension Fluid Medium #10 (STM) is recommended for, but not limited to, Ohlin,® FOX,® RACETECH,® (US2), Koni,® WP® shocks and Harley-Davidson® forks that recommend type “E� or “B� fork oil. Use Shock Therapy Medium #10 where more dampening control and slower rebounds are desired.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TXterra37
84 holy crap its a sunny high of -10 today....friggen cold

but thanks for that input guys on the cold vs hot effects on the shock...
I know for a fact that even my stock suspension is a bit harder in the winter....bumps seem harder and alot of rear hatch squeeks.

·
on line
29 Posts
The shock fluid we use in the Radflo shocks is designed to run over 100 deg C. The cold weather will effect the way the suspension responds. As stated earlier, the colder it gets, the thicker the oil.

Glenn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts