Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,
I know I know search bar, search bar. Ive used and abused on many different sites(Titan Talk, Frontier Forum, and even Tacoma world)yet there has not been a resolution to this issue. Brief description on trial and error,
ISSUE: Clunk over certain bumps not every bump on drivers side, can feel through floor board, sounds somewhat metalish, more like something is loose. This issue only began right after winching a long fallen tree out of the road. Only thing I noticed that may have affected anything was the front drivers side was pushed down a little when winching, but i don't think this could hurt anything, could it ?
COMPONENTS: RADFLO 2.0 coilovers with #700lb springs(brand new). only set to 2'', also have SPC UCA, coilbucket has been trimmed so no contact.
I have a front Winch bumper Hard Core Offroad (similar to Shrock) in the front with Smitty XRC8.
TRIALS: Re tightened and torqued top three nuts of coilover to 50ft. lbs., helped alot for a few days but I notice it is returning.
Called Radflo: Spoke to Glen at Radflo, he says that I have the newer coilover with no mechanical droop stop but a rubber droop stop istead, so mark that out. Took the X to an alignment shop to check all suspension components related to issue, nothing was loose.
The X drives great and feels great in the front, everything that I ride on offroad is soaked up by the Radflos, it is only the city roads that really bring out the clunking. After all my research and contacting many different shops around the country it seams that once you put Good offroad components on the X you get noises. Even my AAL in the rear leaf gives me loose noises,(which I will be attempting to cure with new Grade 8 properly torqued hardware today, will update this issue.)
MY TWO CENTS: After hours reading and researching, it seems that there really isn't an ACTUAL issue with the Radflos but just an affect it has on ride quality. My opinion for the Radflo clunk after speaking with a shop owner who works on performance mustangs and puts similar coilovers with the same aluminum top on the mustangs says that once you put them on you hear everything. So I think its something you just have to deal with, but please give me more tips or even experience with these Radflos. Next step will be to replace LCA. Please share and comment,:rockin:

·
Registered
601 Posts
how certain are you that it is infact the radflo's? maybe its something a little more simple then that. do you have a radiator skid plate attached to the front sway bar? have you checked the front sway bar bushings?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have the same clunk with the same set up (have #650 springs). I havent had time to do a good inspection. But notice the same thing. I was thinking maybe cbc but when I look I have a good 1in-1.5in of space between my top plate and upper control arms.

I'll do some trials when I get a chance to see if I can resolve anything.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
are these brand new coilovers? it might take a little bit for the little bit of wear in the spherical bearings to start making noise. i'd also recheck the torque on your top mounts and make sure the bolts haven't stretched any. also check your swaybar endlinks for play and at the swaybar mount.

also - how many miles? have you already had to replace the LCA spacers that wear out and fall off?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
mine are noisier than stock too. It sounds like a clunk but I can't feel a clunk. Its a very subtle noise - almost a hollow sound. Is that what you are hearing?

Mine did that from day 1 when they were brand new. I don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys,
UPDATE: Just put my PRG U-bolts on. The clunkiness in the rear is now gone.
*NOTE*-Always make sure to change out stock U-bolts to new Grade 8 U-bolts.
Greg at PRG said that I could reuse the stock u-bolts but I think this was temporary.
Any how to answer your question Strizzo, my Radflo 2.0's are brand new. They have been on the X for about 3 weeks. Top bolts on top have been torqued down to 50lbs and this helped when I did so at least on the small bumps. However the large bumps still cause the clunk issue.
*NOTICED THIS*- On my way home I went over a curb, coming off the curb when the drivers side tire took the weight coming off the ledge the clunk was there harshly. This curb would have been similar to me coming off a small rock on a trail, which is why it worries me.
My truck currently has 85,500 miles on it. I have thought about replacing the bushings in the LCA but did not know how much of the bushing should have been there. I would say that there is about an inch of space between the front arm of the LCA and the back of its bracket. ??Possible culprit? I do remeber AZ Ted posting about his issue as well.
when the X was on the lift it was at full droop I tried to twist the coilover but could not move it, it feels like all is tight and nothing could be causing the nasty crunching clunk. BESIDES THE COILOVER. ? Anyother Ideas ?
Could the LCA bushings cause this issue when that side is compressed. I have noticed that this clunk only occurs when the side is compressed with the truck weight it seems like.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine are noisier than stock too. It sounds like a clunk but I can't feel a clunk. Its a very subtle noise - almost a hollow sound. Is that what you are hearing?

Mine did that from day 1 when they were brand new. I don't even notice it anymore.
I can feel my clunk through the floor board on my foot, it only occurs when the drivers side has the weight of the front put down on it. Mine is somewhat hollow sounds somewhat like metal to metal. Does yours only occur on the drivers side?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I can only hear the driver side when I'm driving. I can hear the passenger side when I'm the passenger. Mine does not sound like metal to metal though - sounds like something is loose.

Random thought - Have you checked your front sway bar bushings?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can only hear the driver side when I'm driving. I can hear the passenger side when I'm the passenger. Mine does not sound like metal to metal though - sounds like something is loose.

Random thought - Have you checked your front sway bar bushings?
Mine sounds like a combo of both I would say. Sway Bar off and never going back on! lol Do you have the 2.0 Radflo?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Had a clunk for a year before i took the sway off. No clunk, rides WAY better. Ditch the sway i bet you lose the noise

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I have a clunk that sounds the same as your describing. I have the saw Coilovers. I think its the bearing either top or bottom

I get it on my passengers and I replaces the lca, PRg titan upper uni ball, both tie rods, half axle. And wheel hub. All to try and find the clunk. But no luck

Its coming from my sway a way and I'm sure its the bearing. I have small play in one and that's the side that clunks

I'm going to replace the bearings and see if that fixs the clunk. I would have described my clunk exactly how you did so I'm sure its the same problem

Only other thing I can think of would be a motor mount, but I highly doubt that's the noise

Oh yea. Replaced front body mounts too. A lot of wasted time and money trying to find a clunk. But its so freaking annoying

I don't know how you can actually tell if it is the bearing without just replacing them

I swapped my shocks around and then my clunk was drivers , that's how I know its the shock

Maybe swap them and see if it goes drivers. That will at least narrow it down for you

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a clunk that sounds the same as your describing. I have the saw Coilovers. I think its the bearing either top or bottom

I get it on my passengers and I replaces the lca, PRg titan upper uni ball, both tie rods, half axle. And wheel hub. All to try and find the clunk. But no luck

Its coming from my sway a way and I'm sure its the bearing. I have small play in one and that's the side that clunks

I'm going to replace the bearings and see if that fixs the clunk. I would have described my clunk exactly how you did so I'm sure its the same problem

Only other thing I can think of would be a motor mount, but I highly doubt that's the noise

Oh yea. Replaced front body mounts too. A lot of wasted time and money trying to find a clunk. But its so freaking annoying

I don't know how you can actually tell if it is the bearing without just replacing them

I swapped my shocks around and then my clunk was drivers , that's how I know its the shock

Maybe swap them and see if it goes drivers. That will at least narrow it down for you

Great stuff to know, and yep the next move I was gonna make to completely confirm it was the coilover. It just takes so much time to swap those out that I may put it off for a while and get other things situated. Question, what bearings are you referring to that may be out on the coilover? Where the joints are at the bottom mount ? Is there a bearing at the top mount as well ?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Oh yeah I have. And have been for a while. Since last fall when I first titan swapped I've had the hollow clunk noise

I drove to moab and back, all over the mountians. She gets used hard and put away wet.

I had it inspected a while ago yo make sure and they said everything is 1000 percent. Must be shocks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yeah I have. And have been for a while. Since last fall when I first titan swapped I've had the hollow clunk noise

I drove to moab and back, all over the mountians. She gets used hard and put away wet.

I had it inspected a while ago yo make sure and they said everything is 1000 percent. Must be shocks

I was so close to ordering a set of OME front 2" coil and shock today. I just dont wanna give up the Rads !! Anyhow good to hear that the clunk doesnt mean death! Keep me posted on the replacement of the bearings.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
They are great shocks man , whatever your hearing can be fixed. It isnt a normal sound
I rode in a few different frontiers and xterras and they had no clunk. My Buddys massive titan swapped xterra had the rad 2.5s and not a single sound came from his front end.

One day I'll figure out the bearing size and swap them out. But I'm tried so much and spent so much time that I don't really care anymore. It just drives me nuts and I deal with it. Try to avoid potholes on one side of my truck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts