Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone has measured or can measure the length of Radflo's 5CN 001 10 front shocks in its extended position. This is the extended version with 5 inches shock travel.

I called Radflo and was told "we don't divulge our dimensions for OEM applications". Needless to say, I was very surprised to hear that. Seriously, the guy wouldn't even tell me the extended length.

Then I talked to Greg at PRG. He was very helpful but didn't have the dimension in front of him. He DID say that it is "possible" to run the extended Radflo's with stock UCA's IF I was willing to grind down the inner lip of the stock UCA. How much grinding, you ask? Well, that depends on the shock length.

So, if anyone can measure the shock length, preferably from the center of the bottom eyelet to the top of the top mounting plate, this would help me a great deal.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
901 Posts
I knew I had seen that one somewhere... here you go:

It would work on a stock set up as long as there was no preload on the coils

I just gave it a shot and it worked, just not going to go that route untill we can confirm these are extended length

They told me oem length is 16 1/8 from top shock bolt to bottom eye, and extended is 16 14/16 or whatever ,

I measured and they are a little more then 16 1/8. No where near 17
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63750&page=2

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Now, this is what's interesting. If the extended Radflo's are only 3/4 inch longer than the OEM shocks, that means (on my X) I will have no UCA contact. I measured the clearance between the UCA and the coil bucket at full droop and I have over 0.9" clearance. I should be able to easily fit the shocks with the stock UCA's...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Tisk, tisk... remember your geometry!

3/4" is at the shock mount on the lower control arm. Everything is moving in an arc, so you can't assume displacement in one location will have an equal change in another location.

Also the "OEM length" listed above is the Radflo OEM replacement length coilovers, no guarantee that they are exactly the same as OEM, as far as I know they designed to work with OEM UCAs, not necessarily designed to match OEM length.

Not trying to kill your plans, just CYA.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I measured from top of coilspring to bottom eye let and have 15". I have nisstec style rads with the top spacer looking thing. So make sure you measure from the actual coil sprung
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I have OEM length coilovers and there is only about a 1/4" gap between my coil buckets and UCA's at full droop. I'd guess you will have to do a lot of grinding to prevent CBC since the extended length ones are about 3/4" longer

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have spc. Did some grinding so i didnt gave to push the balljoint to much out. I rather grind then buy new tires. The lower arm adjustments are not that much, so moving the upper ball joint to much will not let you go back into spec. Grinding was super fast
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts