Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever compared the R180 IFS front diff in our vehicles to the r180 IFS rear diff in Subaru's?
I am just curious since I know they look similar. At least from the outside.
There are a few good LSD options for this rear, as well as a company that makes CV axles that hold up to 9 second drag passes. Not cheap, but if the splines are the same, it may not be a stretch for them to make axles for us.

The diff's themselves hold up to some serious abuse in the Suby world, aluminum carrier and all. Due to this I feel that most of the issues with X's and Fronty's are due to spider/internals failures.

Any thoughts on this, since a most of you have been in the X world for much longer than me?
Anyone know the spline count on our r180 front diff?

·
on line
107 Posts
I thought the stock X & S models had the R200 front differential, is this correct? Or is it really the R180? :compress:

·
on line
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure the new ones all have the R180 aluminum front diff.

The first gen's had a cast iron R200.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
All current ('05+) model Xs, Frontiers, Pathy's, use the R180A front diffs.

I'm not to sure about the Subbie differential, I haven't been able to find a exploded/expanded view of that axle. I do know, however, that the A in our front diffs designate it as being a front differential. Parts are swapped appropriately so they don't run backwards and its offset to one side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts