Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spoke with Steve from Rugged Rocks. He said that he would be willing to make the 4.10 Gears for the r180 if we can get 50 people financially committed to it. It looks like the 4.10 rears are $400, so I'm assuming it will be about the same. If you want to upgrade your r180 to 4.10 gears, and are able to financially commit to this development, please put your name down. (This is not a thread to debate r180 vs m205, etc; please don't bring that up here. Thank you)

1. snoborderphx
2. ryandavenport
3. kd26
4. LIXterra
5. occupantX

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of time frame would we be looking at?
The timeframe will be when we get 50 people financially committed; IIRC, he said it will take 3-4 weeks to get them completed after the order is made. The problem is, he has to get several hundred made to make it economically feasible

Also will they work with the ARB for the front if we get the correct one. Money is tight for me, but I can make it work if the conditions are correct. I just need to look into the c200k and what I would do about it.
I do not believe this affects whether you can use a locker or not; someone more familiar would have to chime in, but I'm 99% sure it would not affect it at all.

Will 4.08 gears match?
My understanding is the front and back have to match completely.

Sn0

·
Registered
74 Posts
I asked steve-o about the 4.10 and 4.08 thing and he said it would be fine. Its close enough that it wont make a huge difference. In regard to the locker, the R180 locker came in two flavors for different gearing, the 3.54 and down which I believe is model number RD181, and the RD180 for 3.69 and up. By up, I would assume it means all the way up to a 4.10 or 4.08 or whatever.
Add me to the list.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
4.08 rear and 4.10 front will not matter, the difference is less than 1% ... you can get more than that difference in tire wear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Will the stock rear e-locker work with the 4.08 gears? If someone can confirm this as well as that the 3.54+ ARB will work with the 4.10's then I'm in

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Stock rear e-locker is in the m226, IIRC it's the c200k that gets the 4.08 rear gears folks are discussing (with a spacer, if you're putting them into an Xterra diff). m226s have had 4.10 gears available for quite some time and there are many folks who have installed them and been running without issue.

I see no reason why the 3.54+ ARB won't work with the 4.10 gears ... if you're concerned, have a conversation about it at time of order. I'd give pretty good odds that this wouldn't be going forward if that were an issue ...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke with Steve from Rugged Rocks. He said that he would be willing to make the 4.10 Gears for the r180 if we can get 50 people financially committed to it. It looks like the 4.10 rears are $400, so I'm assuming it will be about the same. If you want to upgrade your r180 to 4.10 gears, and are able to financially commit to this development, please put your name down. (This is not a thread to debate r180 vs m205, etc; please don't bring that up here. Thank you)

1. snoborderphx
2. ryandavenport
3. kd26
4. LIXterra
5. occupantX
We are 10% there to making this happen. Bumping post up for more visibility.

Sn0

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Where do you find the 4.08s for the C200? I'd be in if I understood more about gearing.
Its out of a manuel Fronteir and it is possible in retrospect. Steveo said a few guys have already done it. But your going to need a special spacer to allow proper backlash on the pinion. But I'm assuming Steveo has a guy making these spacers if he knows members who have already done this. But an c200k with an Arb locker is going to need a different spacer i would imagine. As the m226 needs a smaller spacer for the Arb and a larger spacer for the e-locker.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
i tried to make this happen a while back and steve told me no go, so i decided to t-swap, if i hadn't already bought parts for the swap i would have just ran the r-180. i hope this happens for you guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts