Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2005 Nismo frontier and current 2007 Off-road xterra have noisy ABS/ABLS motors. When I slide a bit on the gravel to a stop, slide a bit around turns desert turns, or slipping the tires on obstacles offroad, the ABLS system emits its buzzy/grindy noises through the driver side of the cab with force.

Being in a friends 2008 Nismo Frontier crew just like my old 05, I've noticed that her ABS/ABLS motor is very quiet. Downhill assist, ABLS limited slip, abs coming to a skidding stop is a lot quieter. Same sound but very dampened and far from annoying.

My buddy's 2010 Pro4X titan's ABLS system is also very, very quiet, understandable as the engine bay is a bit different.

The ESP system in the girlfriend's 06 Jeep Liberty (works exactly the same way as our ABLS/ABS systems) is QUIET, nearly dead silent and very effective. (hate me for loving the liberty, but that thing is a sweet wheeling machine when it comes to the IFS off-road platform)

Wanting to quiet down the GRIND and BUZZtingtingting of the ABS motor, I thought that installing it with rubber washers on the mounting bolts could dramatically change things, well, looking at my Xterra's ABS motor, I see that it is all mounted in rubber washers/gromets already as it is. Kind of like a rubber engine-mount. I haven't looked at the girlfriend's liberty and how its ABS motor is mounted nor the 2008 Frontier or Titan to compare, what else can be done to shut that thing up a bit? Or maybe the newer ABS motors are just built to make a lot less noise.

I know most readers would just tell me to deal with it but it's just something that I'd be interested in doing if it seems an easy mod can add a bit more comfort and premium feel to the xterra. I like my suspension quiet, not groaning and clanking, as well as the rest of the mechanical parts.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
The '08 and newer has a completely different ABS pump then the '07 and older as well. I don't think they interchange, there are other differences like a different steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have an 07 and when my ABS kicks in it sounds like a mix of making frozen margaritas and loud flatulence. With all the sand on the road lately here its nearly impossible to brake easy enough not to set it off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yup my 07 is super loud and it is always off putting at first to unsuspecting passengers, ha. I never knew that it was quieter on the newer models. Oh well it is what it is...

·
on line
4,594 Posts
^^^ There's so much that can be misquoted there.
:D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine always scares my passengers.... That being said, if we're starting a list here, I want my alarm clock to be quieter in the mornings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts