Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a Ranger Quickjack and was curious if anyone has lifted an Xterra with one. I'm considering the 5000SLX model since it will work well with my other vehicles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just asking... Isn't the model you mentioned a bit light for use with the X? I would not want to use a jack rated for just about what the stock curb weight of some X models is.

Perhaps the 7000 series jack would be a better choice?

Oh, and I wish I had one, or maybe a stationary lift for the garage!

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 5000SLX. I purchased it with my cars in mind and not necessarily my Xterra. I find body on frame easy to lift with a jack and jack stands so I didn’t opt for the 7K lbs. capacity model.

I did use it to lift my Xterra once when I was changing the shocks. I figured my stock Xterra is around 4,500 lbs. and the lift is rated for 5,000 lbs. There is a demo video of the 5K lbs. unit supporting 20K lbs. so wasn’t too concerned since I wasn’t going under the truck for that job.

In the picture below, I did not stack the rubber blocks which would have given a few more inches of lift. It barely lifted the tires off the ground which was all I needed for the job. If I planned to use it for my Xterra frequently, I would buy the optional SUV adapters.

The Quickjack is awesome for cars

And if I just want clearance and don’t need the wheels off, I’ve found using 4LO to get up a set of Rhino Ramps as a great alternative for the Xterra. It barely clears the open garage door.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you dont have the room to have a proper lift 100% of the time, I can see the merits of a quick jack that you can just park over top of like a normal parking spot in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
for another 800-900 bucks why not go this route?
It is tempting. Besides the purchase cost the next biggest cost is excavation and floor rework for the install. In the shop I borrow it would need deeper stronger reinforced concrete footings. Safe install easily pushes it up over $3k.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm also purchasing it primarily for cars, but it's nice to know I could use on the X also. It is pricey, but I like the portability of it. You can find them on sale at Costco for around $1000.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Consideration.

Many two point lifts require at least 4" of 3000 PSI rebar reinforced concrete. With this in mind, if your current garage floor is not of this standard you will need to re-pour a slab which is at least 4' by 4' and 10" thick. These new concrete pads should have "rebar" installed into the new pour and into the sides of the existing concrete slab(Greg Smith Equipment Sales).

Obviously, it's best to pour your garage slab with the idea of installing a lift in mind .
For the average shade tree mechanic, the cost of a two post lift and possibly a floor upgrade may be somewhat prohibitive when a Quickjack can serve your needs.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My only issue with the quick jack is that you can't get under from either side and may not work for getting some skids on or off. I want the 2 post so I can reach everything.
A very reasonable request.

For starters , you had best measure the height of your roof where you park your cars.
Most of us lack the luxury of a separate garage in which to perform our auto repairs and rely on either the comfort of our two car garage or working outside. With this in mind, a two car garages ceiling height is typically close to 8ft where as a garage door is 7ft high. This can be a problem as many two point lifts require a 9ft ceiling or greater.(10ft is rather common)

However, a quickjack can be used to raise your vehicle to a safe working height and with a little preparation you can have those items which you wish replaced already under your vehicle for easy accessibility. No, the quickjack will not be as easy to work around as a two point lift. However, for those which lack the option of a two point lift, a quickjack becomes a reasonable option which is safer and more convenient than Jack stands and a manual jack.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I am lucky there, my garage ceiling is 10'4" and I plan to get the door tracks changed to where the door goes up to the ceiling before it comes across the top and a door opener that is on the wall with the door and spins the bar from there instead of being in the middle of the ceiling and pulling and pushing on the top of the door. Though I expect I will need the floor reinforced first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts