Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are numbers involved, but if somebody just knows the answer, it would be easier...

Going to pick up my sports car that I've had in storage for several years.

Can my 06 OR (Manual Tran.) tow a flatbed trailer (one rented from U-Haul) with a small sports car on the back, comfortably?

I know it's asking a lot, since it is a seven hour drive, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions before I attempt it.

Thanks, guys.

-Duck
:duckie:

·
on line
246 Posts
You'll be fine. The trailer is about 2000lbs accoring to Uhauls site. I towed the uhaul trailer and an 89' 300zx which is about 1,000lbs heavyer than your car

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muzikman said:
Ask U-haul, I am sure they know.

Also, with that much weight, you will want trailer brakes.
Probably true, but if memory serves me correctly, the heavier U-Haul trailers come with trailer brakes installed in them already.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I towed my '96 sunfire on a u-haul trailer without incident. All u-haul tow dollies and car haulers come with electric brakes.

Does the manual tranny have a lower towing capacity than the auto? For some reason, I thought the manual tranny was only rated at 3,500 pounds towing capacity. Can someone verify this?

·
on line
564 Posts
2007 XTERRA TOWING DATA
Engine Type 4.0L V6
Transmission A/T & M/T
Model(s) 4x2 & 4x4
Maximum Trailer Weight1 (lbs.) 5,000
Maximum Trailer Tongue Load (lbs.) 500
Gross Combined Weight Rating (lbs.) 9,658
Maximum Trailer Frontal Area 60 sq. ft.

From here...http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/techpubs

Rob

·
on line
735 Posts
drive a little slow to keep the wind resistance out of the equation. Mt friend used to have a temp ga on his old manual trans ford and he said it really went up with every 10 mph towing.

The other suggestion is to buy/rent/borrow a regular trailer because U-haul trailers are built brick s-house for the general public who will overload and abuse them on the road. Regular haulers are more of a compromise between weight and strength and may be 3-400 lbs lighter than the uhaul one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts