Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought my 2011 Xterra 2 weeks ago and love it. It has 18,000 miles on it, It's my first, I got rid of my Chevy Avalanche for it. Now my questions is:

Do all of the Xterra's idle a tad rough? Not that bad but when you get a new car now days you can hardly tell that they are running. If you put the A/C on you can really tell when the compressor kicks on or off. My Avalanche had 200,000 miles on it, ran smooth and you could never tell when the A/C kicked on. Now that was a V8 and I know I'm not comparing apples to apples.

Before I take it to the dealer and they laugh at me I figured I would get all of your opinions. So am I crazy or can you feel them all idle like that?

Thanks
Dave

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Mine idles steady at 625rpm.
Always has. The truck does not shimmy, shake, or vibrate due to the idling motor. However, you can tell that the motor is running; it isn't quiet.

Yes, at idle, when the AC compressor kicks on I can hear the relay and notice that the idle increases by ~100-150rpm.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64804

there is a bulliten out for this. had this done on mine. mine was never that rough. with/without the ac on. call your dealer. see if your covered.......
My 2007 xterra 4x4 has idled 650 plus or minus 50rpms since new. At 115000 miles now. It did toughen up a bit with my new flowmaster exhaust a couple years back but its cool. Also ac kicking on raises idle about 50-100 rpms or so. Since new. Have a bully dog but see no reason to bump up idle.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I did a TB service and relearn still seemed a bit rough on idle . But ive bumped mine up to 750 @idle using a bully dog tuner .

·
on line
2,340 Posts
Compared to a V8, yea the VQ V6 does have a little bit of a rough idle. Nothing horrible, but enough you know the engine is running. I know what you mean about the v8 being really smooth, I am trying to think of how many different V6 engines I have had over the years. I can't think of any that were as smooth as a mild V8. Closest I can think of was a 4.0 Ranger that was the hot engine in the day with 160HP. That was probably the smoothest V6 I ever had, good thing it had a smooth idle as the top end was rough as could be. That engine hated to rev.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Compared to a V8, yea the VQ V6 does have a little bit of a rough idle. Nothing horrible, but enough you know the engine is running. I know what you mean about the v8 being really smooth, I am trying to think of how many different V6 engines I have had over the years. I can't think of any that were as smooth as a mild V8. Closest I can think of was a 4.0 Ranger that was the hot engine in the day with 160HP. That was probably the smoothest V6 I ever had, good thing it had a smooth idle as the top end was rough as could be. That engine hated to rev.
My other vehicle is a 2013 patriot with the 2.4 and 4x4 manual trans and it is quiet smooth and at lights I don't even hear or feel it running. That's a 4 cylinder and puts out 172hp/165ft lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts