Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'07 X 5AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I've been searching through the older threads and haven't quite found what I was looking for. I'm going to replace the bulbs on my 07 with higher brightness halogens, and I've seen many mentions of the Phillips Xtreme Vision, which sounds great. My question is this. With their greater output, I don't have to worry about them burning so hot that they cause problems, do I? I ask because on my 01 Jeep XJ, I had to run a relay to my battery, or else the headlight switch would burn out.
Apples and oranges I know, but I thought I'd ask before pulling the trigger!
Thanks in advance!

Quick edit: Rock Auto has Hella bulbs that are less expensive but promise the same result. $7.49 each sounds too good to be true, so I'm thinking it is!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
If I was already paying shipping on a Rock Auto order, I would add two of the Hella bulbs and give them a try. They are bound to be brighter than stock and you can't go wrong with the price. If nothing else I would drop them in the glove box for spares .

Ps: I have the Sylvania Silverstar ultras and have had no problems with them over the last apx 3 years.
I must admit their brighter than stock, but not as bright as I wanted. Sadly, my headlamp lenses are probably more at fault than the bulbs. I've buffed the lenses twice, but there is a limit to how long this lasts.

Reactions: DennisG

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had my 2007 since new. I can honestly say I tried every single high output 9007 bulb offered. They are indeed brighter than the OEM bulb, but not by a lot. And they all have a shortened life and are expensive. I held off on trying the LED bulbs because I didn't want to blind other drivers. When the companies finally solved that with two rows of LEDs that mimic the locations of the different elements in a standard bulb, I gave up and tried a set. THANK GOD I now finally have decent headlights. I will absolutely never go back to standard bulbs. The ones I bought are an early generation, but after several years they still work perfectly. I found these because a lot of guys on the Frontier forum were raving about them. I will give you a link to the ones I bought, I can attest to them lasting a long time, not blinding other drivers, being SO much better than any other standard high output bulb, but mine are a little too blue for me ( I want pure pure white). They are NOT Honda Civic d bag blue, I'm 55 years old, that would have gone straight to the trash. BUT, I do want to say that you should absolutely look into the bulbs that CanadianEh linked for you above as they are likely brighter than mine (I do want to go a little brighter with my next set. Not much, but a little). I have no idea if they are reliable etc, but you should look into them.

EDIT: I just looked at the link I gave you, and even though Amazon says this is what I bought years ago, THIS version has no cooling fan. Mine does. I expect that crappy fan on mine to die and take out my bulb at some point, but so far after two years it has not. Does the new "no fan" version work better or worse, I do not know. Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had my 2007 since new. I can honestly say I tried every single high output 9007 bulb offered. They are indeed brighter than the OEM bulb, but not by a lot. And they all have a shortened life and are expensive. I held off on trying the LED bulbs because I didn't want to blind other drivers. When the companies finally solved that with two rows of LEDs that mimic the locations of the different elements in a standard bulb, I gave up and tried a set. THANK GOD I now finally have decent headlights. I will absolutely never go back to standard bulbs. The ones I bought are an early generation, but after several years they still work perfectly. I found these because a lot of guys on the Frontier forum were raving about them. I will give you a link to the ones I bought, I can attest to them lasting a long time, not blinding other drivers, being SO much better than any other standard high output bulb, but mine are a little too blue for me ( I want pure pure white). They are NOT Honda Civic d bag blue, I'm 55 years old, that would have gone straight to the trash. BUT, I do want to say that you should absolutely look into the bulbs that CanadianEh linked for you above as they are likely brighter than mine (I do want to go a little brighter with my next set. Not much, but a little). I have no idea if they are reliable etc, but you should look into them.

EDIT: I just looked at the link I gave you, and even though Amazon says this is what I bought years ago, THIS version has no cooling fan. Mine does. I expect that crappy fan on mine to die and take out my bulb at some point, but so far after two years it has not. Does the new "no fan" version work better or worse, I do not know. Good luck.

Not OP but thanks for the time you took to write this...been looking for this solution for my 07. Do you have fog lights, and if so what bulbs did you go with to match?

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro4x
95 Posts
Not OP but thanks for the time you took to write this...been looking for this solution for my 07. Do you have fog lights, and if so what bulbs did you go with to match?
I have the same Katana brand lights. Lasfit made an led bulb that fit the stock fog light housing that matched the color exactly. I used it before switching to halo lights. I was unable to find the exact Lasfit model that I purchased in 2018 but I bet there’s another version from them that matches.

Also, make sure you at least try to aim the headlight LEDs correctly. I put tape on a wall to mark where the stock lights were and then adjusted accordingly when I installed the LEDs.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I agree - I have tried several brands and found all of them dim in a year or two - including the xtreme vision - so my current strategy is to just replace them every couple years. I have Silver star's now and like them.

I am always temped by the LED's - but my wife's car has factory LED's and I really don't like either the color or pattern, so somehow I think I won't like the LED's in my truck either?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reactions: XC20 and BradB

·
Registered
'07 X 5AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the great advice. The group never lets me down, that's for sure!
I think I'm going to stick with halogens, and go with either the Extreme Vision, or the Hellas. I'm just not a huge fan of LEDs for one reason or another, but that may change eventually.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMO, there is no better bang for your buck than LED bulbs! Just have to get some quality ones - steer clear of eBay.

I just bought a set of LEDs for our '93 Volvo 940 winter beater. AMAZING difference in light output! I can't even convey how different! Like a candle from 1776 against a pie plate, compared to a modern defensive flashlight. INSANELY different! SUPER expensive, but after 6 months of use, worth every penny, IMO. Got them from here: Welcome to the store The Volvo has 9004's, and we used the S-V.4 bulbs. Anything that improves my wife's safety on the road, I'll spend the money. That's also why I keep the tires new, and the brakes EBC Yellows.

Over 10 years ago, I installed an HID setup in our '86 Grand Marquis. Same difference, though not as dramatic as the LED. Once the next electronic component fails on the HID setup, I'll be going LED there as well. I've already had to repair the setup twice in the past 2 years, and I'm out of spare parts. The place I bought them from just folded last year. The end is near.

A picture is worth 10,000 words!!

BEFORE:
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Halogen on your left, LED on your right:
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

HID to halogen side-by-side:
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tail & brake light

BEFORE HID:
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Tire

AFTER:
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2011 Xterra Pro-4X - Red Brick
98 Posts
I put these fanless Beamtechs in mine:

I like them. Much brighter, almost identical pattern, and have not been flashed since the install. Not going back to halogen.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree - I have tried several brands and found all of them dim in a year or two - including the xtreme vision - so my current strategy is to just replace them every couple years. I have Silver star's now and like them.

I am always temped by the LED's - but my wife's car has factory LED's and I really don't like either the color or pattern, so somehow I think I won't like the LED's in my truck either?
It’s really more about the lens than bulb type for what you are seeing as the output. The LEDs in newer cars use projector lenses as do HIDs. The X has reflector style lenses which are essentially a bunch of tiny mirror panels reflecting the bulb light. These are designed with the halogen light output in mind using two exposed filaments (low/high beam) that output in 360 degrees and reflect off the panels.

The aftermarket LED bulbs for reflector housing are designed to try and simulate the 360 degree light output by putting the LEDs in the same locations as the halogen filament. Because they are not complete 360 degree output (more like two 180 degree together with a small gap) people would see issues with the early gen bulbs not scattering light correctly. Newer gen bulbs have very little gap between the LEDs (2mm) bringing them much closer to full 350 degree pattern.

I put in some current generation LEDs in my X and they are great. They are much brighter. The downside is the brightness increases accentuates the darker areas a little more where the reflector lens itself is deficient. Still worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
2011 Pro4x
30 Posts
Bottom Line...newer LED's work incredibly well. They dont require any trimming or adjustments to the little retaining ring. I tried several standard filliment bulbs and found they all sucked. LED's, and there are several options listed here, are dramatically better at basically the same cost.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
690 Posts
Some LEDs I have found will need adjustments. Some of the mounting rings can be loosened and rotated to adjust the position of the LEDs. The newest ones I bought we spot on out of the box. Just make sure the LEDs sit in your headlight just like the halogen bulbs did. Meaning they LED chips are pointing to the sides into the reflectors.

Reactions: Smithsonite
1 - 14 of 14 Posts