Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently noticed just how much extra space there is being wasted underneath the rear seats. I found a great way to utilize the space besides just laying down long stuff like my cb antenna when not in use. I found a perfect size box at Sears. It is called the Craftsman 17" Compact Truck Box Part# 65117 and they cost $7.99 each.

You can fit 2 of these under the seat with the jack still there! They fit great, the seats open and close fine, they are out of sight so no one sees them, and sitting in the seat feels no different. Its totally stealth! The inside usable space for tools, emergency supplies, or anything else is 16.25"L x 4.5"W x 3"H. I shot some quick pics to show where I'm talking about and tossed a couple tools in one to illustrate their size. You could easily carry a full socket set and a couple ratchets in one, and fill the other with wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers and have a great little kit. Whatever you use them for, I wanted to let you know about this great find!

~Jay

Update: 6-17-10

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I finally had time to fill these babies up and am really in awe. These boxes don't look huge, but the are like bottomless pits. I kept putting more and more tools in, and I still have extra space in them. With two of these under the seats (or in the trunk, they fit in that compartment too) you can carry quite a solid on the trail tool kit at all times. Here's some updated pics to show you how much you can fit in these things!

And there is still room left. All these tools now live in a space out of site that was just being wasted for the last year! :)

·
on line
3,572 Posts
Great Idea! There was a thread by buxwheat about putting a hi-lift under there but i never though about other stuff.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
good stealth box Jay!!.. Now your thinking out side the box again. ;-)

could stuff Road flares inside box as well..

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Excellent S&S!

I saw those at Sears a couple months back when I had a gift card, but wasn't sure it they would fit in that area. Great to know.

Sears also has a 22"Standard Truck Box Model # 65119

A reviewer says the dimensions are:

Outside: 22 1/4 (W) x 7 1/2 (D) x 4 1/4 (H) Inside: 21 (W) x 5 3/4 (D) x 2 1/2 (H).

Wonder if it will fit in the dry box? Might be a bit too tall. Hmmmmm.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
excellent Idea jay! I am going to pick some up later today or tomorrow to hide away some of my trail tools!

:rockin:

·
on line
6,543 Posts
Rook - with everything you're doing I'm surprised you've still got seats back there. I'd assume you'd being building a platform or the like and removing the seats.

If I go that route I think I'll set it up for Zombie Apocalypse "supples". Said supplies are roughly 7.62x39 or 12g.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
Rook - with everything you're doing I'm surprised you've still got seats back there. I'd assume you'd being building a platform or the like and removing the seats.

If I go that route I think I'll set it up for Zombie Apocalypse "supples". Said supplies are roughly 7.62x39 or 12g.
LMAO! hahaha! I need to have seats back there because I do transport more than just a passenger from time to time. I am thinking about bedlining the interior cargo area and adding a shelving system into the back tho....hmmm...I could always fits lots of anti-zombie supplies in that!

Is it unhealthy that I think of bedlining my Stratus from time to time? :dontknow:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent S&S!

I saw those at Sears a couple months back when I had a gift card, but wasn't sure it they would fit in that area. Great to know.

Sears also has a 22"Standard Truck Box Model # 65119

A reviewer says the dimensions are:

Outside: 22 1/4 (W) x 7 1/2 (D) x 4 1/4 (H) Inside: 21 (W) x 5 3/4 (D) x 2 1/2 (H).

Wonder if it will fit in the dry box? Might be a bit too tall. Hmmmmm.
I bought the standard truck one first, but it was a fail. It was too tall. I was able to close the seat it I really forced it, but it felt like something was bending, I was nervous the plastic bits were gonna break, and the seat would jam closed leaving my to fight for 5 minutes trying to get it folding up again. So I went back to Sear and exchanged for the compact truck box which fit just perfectly.

standard truck box = fail
compact truck box = win

·
on line
6,543 Posts
He's missing the BFH.

·
on line
5,157 Posts
LMAO! hahaha! I need to have seats back there because I do transport more than just a passenger from time to time. I am thinking about bedlining the interior cargo area and adding a shelving system into the back tho....hmmm...I could always fits lots of anti-zombie supplies in that!

Is it unhealthy that I think of bedlining my Stratus from time to time? :dontknow:
Just buy a cargo van and add a transfer case and front axle.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I bought the standard truck one first, but it was a fail. It was too tall. I was able to close the seat it I really forced it, but it felt like something was bending, I was nervous the plastic bits were gonna break, and the seat would jam closed leaving my to fight for 5 minutes trying to get it folding up again. So I went back to Sear and exchanged for the compact truck box which fit just perfectly.

Yes, but will the Standard Truck Box fit into the dry box on the roof?

That's where I need to store these kinds of things because my interior is usually full of *stuff*.

I'll likely buy the STB next week and test fit up top.

Anyway, excellent find for under the seat ... may get one of those as well.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts