Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few days, my a/c is acting funny

when i'm driving in the city, stop to stop, or low speed. My A/C only blowing air... maybe little cool air, but not cold at all.

Once awhile the a/c will blow cold air, then again back to normal temp air.

But if i speed up like going on the highway, the air blowing out is cold and feel normal.

Can someone give me some suggestion??

Do you think i might have overcharged the system?

I have the high/low gauge, but dont remember the pressure reading.
but i do remember my high side was jumping up and down, kinda like the clutch coming on and off. is that normal?

i know how the a/c system work, but the one i work on usually without the clutch, so not sure if that make any diff.

what is the normal pressure suppose to be on the low and high side? I can check that on Monday.

Where is the receiver/drier located? does it have a sight glass?

thanks

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
If it works fine at highway speeds and does not work at low speeds you probably have a condensor fan issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,540 Posts
I just had my compressor replaced. It was acting funny where one time it wouldn't work at all, then a little and then sometimes it would run normal. It's not a cheap part either so I hope you're just low on freon or something simple like that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i added some freon the other day, so i'm going to let some out this week.

lets hope that is not the compressor.

does anyone know what is the correct pressure on the system?

should my fan on all the time when my AC is on??

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The fan will not always run just because the A/c is on. Like others have said if your a/c is fine on the highway sounds like an airflow issue.....condenser fan.

·
on line
951 Posts
Pressure varies depending on ambient air temperature and humidity. On a a hot(95 degree) day with a dew point of 77 I had 40 psi on the low side. Sounds like you might have a blockage in your condenser. Blow low pressure air or water from the engine side of the radiator and watch the crap come out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts