·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Glacier Build

Username: Quest4ADV -
X-Name = "Panda"

Year: 2011
Make: (What would you say if I put Toyota here?) :)
Model: Xterra (Of course)
Trim: PRO-4X
Color: Avalanche, (I think it should be called Glacier)
Mods:

The only thing so far is Weathertech's for the front. I will rarely carry more than two passengers.

Comments:

I'm starting this thread to use as a sounding board for some of my ideas. I have been pouring over the build threads for the last few weeks and think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to end up with, but I'm always open for suggestions.

I'm not building a rock crawler. My vision is more of an Overlanding vehicle. I plan to go camping, exploring, kayaking, and general running around while here in FL. My GF and I have a plan to move out West in a couple of years. (I'm from San Diego, she use to live in Dallas and we both have family and friends out there)

So, I will throw out some of my ideas with a priority of when they should get done and let the group comment on my plans thus guiding the build.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Photos:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Panda

I have decided to call my rig "Panda" because it's Black and White and Asian.

Once the hood gets blacked out I think the name will fit even better! :pirate:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FedEx guy played Santa today :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Woohoo, more avalanches to the group! (I simply disagree on glacier as the white name simply b/c I associate it with something massive and extremely slow moving, haha.)

Here's a panda!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get a chance to take pics today. I went crazy on Amazon.com on Thursday and with the Prime 2 day shipping got four big boxes of stuff delivered this afternoon.

One of the boxes contained this:

I know, I kinda cheaped out, but I just wanted to throw something up there until I can afford a full rack replacement. This was only $100 and I've already peeled the Highland sticker off. I'll find something else to slap up there.

I also got this today:

This should do until I get my Maxterra bumper with tire mount.

Also got a recovery strap and a bunch of tools, camping stuff, misc parts and stuff. Planning our first camping trip now!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woohoo, more avalanches to the group! (I simply disagree on glacier as the white name simply b/c I associate it with something massive and extremely slow moving, haha.)

Here's a panda!
That's cool. I think I may get someone to draw up a Panda and incorporate Xterra into it for a template when I stealth the hood.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed my GPS mounting dock and the Garmin 765t I got from Palehorse. Install was pretty simple. Just had a hard time seeing the little wires for the tap. Damn I hate getting old.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got everything I needed together for the Breather mod.

That's actually an after shot, it's what's left over, but pretty much shows what I used:
Nissan part number 38323-c601a
1/4" fuel line (From Lowes of all places)
A couple of hose clamps
Split loom for protection
A zip tie or two
A really cool breather filter I picked up at Autozone

Ran the hose and loom down and zipped it up

It's nice having a newer truck, no rust at all. The stock breather came right out. Screwed the new nipple in and tighten it all up.

Piece of cake! Thanks to all who came before me and detailed this mod. It made it much easier for me. :hello2:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New First Aid Kit. Thanks Surf n Snow for the Pelican idea.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you ever throw that highland rack up there?
Yes, off and on. I had my kayak racks up there for a while.

I've never carried anything up there though!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Understood, but it looks like it could possible squeeze between the rails? I have some adapters that might let me lower it in there and attach via the sides.
Specs on the rack is roughly 44" x 35" x 4.2". I believe the spacing between the rails is 30ish inches so most likely won't drop in if I'm not mistaken.

OP - I was looking at the same rack on Amazon and from your pics.. I'm sold. Looks really good up there. Is yours with or without the extension... I can't really tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts