Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My X came with the Rockford Fosgate system that includes an 8" subwoofer (I think it's 8"). I read the manual and was not able to find this, but, where is the subwoofer located? Is it under the driver's seat? The easiest thing I could do is explore but I just haven't had time between work and home. It gets dark before I get home and it's usually dark when I leave home. If you know, please enlighten me.

Another question I have is: Can this subwoofer be replaced with a similar size aftermarket subwoofer? Has anyone done this?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Yes, I believe the sub is under the drivers seat and amp under the passenger.

I hate the dark to dark cycle.

·
on line
104 Posts
yeah its under the drivers seat.. cant you feel it when your bumpin'? lol
if its really 8", it hits pretty hard for its size when equalized properly. also your going to replace it with an after market sub, dont waist your time with another 8 incher under the seat, go ahead and ante up and get a 12" or something in a custom box, you will be able to tell (feel) the difference.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
teX-TERRA said:
yeah its under the drivers seat.. cant you feel it when your bumpin'? lol
if its really 8", it hits pretty hard for its size when equalized properly. also your going to replace it with an after market sub, dont waist your time with another 8 incher under the seat, go ahead and ante up and get a 12" or something in a custom box, you will be able to tell (feel) the difference.
I had a 12" Kicker in my CR-V before I traded it with the X. The reason I asked my question is that I just don't want to deal with running wires and having a box in my trunk anymore. I was hoping to just replace the current subwoofer with a better one. I will look into this.

·
on line
352 Posts
It's an eight..It's a in a weird plastic box. It "Feels" like it hits hard. Turn you stereo up and sit in th rear seats. BIG difference. Any sub has punch when you literally sit on it. It was nice at first but I needed to upgrade

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I really hate the stock RF sub. Vibrates more than it puts out bass. Nissan should have labeled it as an optional @ss massager.

·
on line
104 Posts
haha that is true about the a$$ massager part lol... and damn strait about the vibrations.. and sherpa, your idea about not wanting to run wires and just replace the RF one is actually a good idea.. tell me how it all works out. xterrock, it does vibrate alot but are you sure you have it tuned and equalized properly? cuz mine puts out some really clean bass on some songs that sounds just as good as my friends 2 10"s?
just a thought, but maybe you could completely remove the whole plastic box and RF sub, then get a 10" or 12" put in a custom box back under the seat with the same wires..
any thoughts?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
The RF sub annoys me so much I have had the stereo bass settings set at 0 or -1 pretty much since I got my car. Back in the days, when I was into car audio, this would have warranted immediate replacement with a couple 10's or 12's.

Replacing the whole box with a 10 or 12 sounds feasible but wonder if the stock amp will put out enough power to drive a larger sub.
Also replacing just the sub could make it sound better. Theres also a chance that it could sound worse though if specs aren't right.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
At one time 40 Hz at 110 dB was enough. If you listen to music other than Hip-Hop it likely still is enough. Here's a picture of the measurement I made of my RF system. That's a pure clean sine wave captured with my lab mic.

·
on line
615 Posts
Ok, Sherpa you had the exact idea I had about 2 weeks after getting my X. I ran over to one of my buddies who does "nasty" work with car stereos. He agreed that it would be theoretically possible to replace the woofer and maintain all of your stock work but to do a direct replacement and maintain the control through the factory headunit is just not logical. What you will need to do, you meaning, take it to an audio shop unless you know your way around vehicle audio wiring and seeing as how you have an 08 I don't think you want to mess it up. Do what I've seen some guys on here do is either replace the headunit and remove the RF "assbumper" plus the factory crossover (not 100% sure on what this is, I just remember this being a problem with direct replacement). Connect your factory components to the HU and attach an enclosed sub (there are designs on the site somewhere) or if you are wanting to keep the RF headunit then just wire up a sub and amplifier and run a bass knob into the RF unit. How to get that bass knob into the RF is beyond me. I plan on doing this route later but I am focusing my cash flow on the PRG lift as of now. Maybe some more electrically inclined guys on here could give you some more insight on the subject.

Just my $0.02

·
on line
155 Posts
Well, I did a little searching on the RF website and I found some info concerning the RF subwoofer. Here's what it says in regards to changing out the factory one:

Subwoofer for OEM Nissan systems

Question
Can I swap my OEM installed subwoofer with an aftermarket Rockford Fosgate subwoofer?

Answer
If you intend on using the same OEM amplifier as already installed in your vehicle, you will need to purchase a replacement OEM model through your local Nissan dealership. The subwoofer installed in OEM systems utilize a different voice coil impedance and is matched specifically to the OEM amplifier.

Therefore, if you plan to swap the OEM subwoofer with an aftermarket Rockford Fosgate model, you will need to permanently disconnect the OEM subwoofer (+) and (-) speaker wires and install a dedicated subwoofer amplifier.

Wonder why they did that....sucks big time. I wonder what impedance they run their sub at? Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
:scratch: i wondered what that black box was while detailing my new pro 4x saturday. the factory RF system seems not too bad. going to give it a good listen this week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts