Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 S. The only skid plate is the factory tin protecting the radiator.

I am wondering if its worth the effort to add the factory skids for the rest. Before everyone tells me to get Hefty or Shrock set, that won't happen. The biggest reason is weight - since the majority of my off road is soft sand so the extra weight is significant, and this is also my daily driver so mileage matters somewhat. The money is the second but maybe bigger reason. The off road driving I do is either soft sand back roads, or on the beach occasionally. I don't foresee any rock crawling. I am most interested in protection from a log or something that might get run over or, etc.

Also, I am assuming the front tin plate on my S is the same as the off road package - or is the factory version of that any better.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I'd keep an eye on the FS forums. With a recent shrock group buy and the hefty thanksgiving sale some stock tins should pop up.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I was looking underneath mine the other day when I was changing the oil and I noticed that my factory skids have taken some hits. Its really just scrapes and minor dents so they did their job in the three summers I wheeled when living in CO.

So, it really depends on your usage. I did wheel mine a lot in CO, but I'm also careful so I didn't get body damage or break anything. For me they are fine on up to moderate trails, but if you are more aggressive or are trying crazy stuff then probably not.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I think all Xterras come with that front rad skid. The rest of the skids are of similar thickness (and are rather hole-y). The most important one is the engine skid, since the oil pan hangs really really low and you do not want to bust it on anything. If you were to get a single aftermarket skid, engine would be the one to go. Everything else is rather robust so you could get away with using stockers (though the t-case and transmission skids are only secured at one end and "float" - you bend one, it's done).

You might also see if anyone can do some custom sheet skids for you that offer more coverage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts