Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm doing my research about lifts and found the Lift Options thread but I have a couple questions on it. I'm new to working on my car but I'm trying to learn so if you can explain in stupid-man English please =) On the section about using spacers for the front, it states "No increase in travel. Can result in the Upper Control Arm (UCAs) hitting the coilover bucket/mount at higher lifts. Increases CV angle which will add stress to the front differential".

Should I run into any issues using a 2 inch spacer with the UCA hitting the coilover bucket/mount? Also, what is the CV angle? I haven't been able to find anything on it yet.

On the section about the "New Shackles" cons, it says soft suspension. Why would a soft suspension be bad? Unless I am thinking of something different.

Thank you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some people get coil bucket contact with a 2 inch spacer and some don't. I got it really bad which is why I moved to the Old Man Emu kit. Anytime you lift the truck, the CV angles get harsher. The front axle shafts have CV joints at both the bottom and the top of them. This allows them to still spin the front wheels through the entire range of motion of the front suspension. You really don't have to worry about CV angles with only a 2" lift. Nissan CVs are known to be fairly strong.

When you put rear shackles on, no suspension stiffness is changed therefore you get the same ride that you would if you never had lifted it. On most vehicles, this is fine, but on the X, you want something a little bit stiffer, both for carrying capacity as well as comfort. The rear suspension is too soft, and with too much weight, bottoms out. Look at an Add a Leaf or full replacement leaf pack for your best options. I went the long way around and did a budget lift the first time and a really good lift the second time. Save the money, do it right the first time. It will work out better I'm the end.

:thumbup: What he said!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some people get coil bucket contact with a 2 inch spacer and some don't. I got it really bad which is why I moved to the Old Man Emu kit. Anytime you lift the truck, the CV angles get harsher. The front axle shafts have CV joints at both the bottom and the top of them. This allows them to still spin the front wheels through the entire range of motion of the front suspension. You really don't have to worry about CV angles with only a 2" lift. Nissan CVs are known to be fairly strong.

When you put rear shackles on, no suspension stiffness is changed therefore you get the same ride that you would if you never had lifted it. On most vehicles, this is fine, but on the X, you want something a little bit stiffer, both for carrying capacity as well as comfort. The rear suspension is too soft, and with too much weight, bottoms out. Look at an Add a Leaf or full replacement leaf pack for your best options. I went the long way around and did a budget lift the first time and a really good lift the second time. Save the money, do it right the first time. It will work out better I'm the end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thank you ryandavenport. I'll try to find someone that has a '06 S that has done a 2 inch spacer and if it hit the UAC since it varies. Is the Old Man Emu kit a suspension lift? That's all I seem to be able to find. Also, would you guys recommend a suspension lift or body lift since I have the 285s and have done the melt mod?

Edit: Some food for thought, I do have stock shocks (as far as I know) at just about 90,000 miles that I will be wanting to replace within 10,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're at 90000 miles, go Ahead and do a full replacement all around. You will love the new feel. Old Man Emu is available from Nisstec Lifts out of Colorado. Call and ask to speak to Chris. He will give you a good deal if you mention the forum.

You could contact another owner of an 06 S model, but the coil bucket contact is on a truck by truck basis. There is no pattern at all, so if another 06 owner doesn't have coil bucket contact, you still could. That's why the OME kit is a good entry level full replacement package.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks! I was reading in another post about how it is a truck by truck basis too so I'll keep that in mind when looking to do other things. I found a OME package at Nisstec; http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58943&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72 . This will be everything I need for ~2 inch lift? I know it is an Add-A-Leaf but I can't fork over the extra to just replace the entire leaf package =(

You have been really helpful, thank you again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OKay, sounds good. It adds some to get it assembled but its probably worth the price rather going to the shop and having them charge me. I'm in Colorado Springs. I'll see what my room mate, Google, and I can pull off and if we need some help, I'm down for buying lunches =P

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts