Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed new EBC rotors and green stuff pads over the weekend.

Wondering for those who have used these pads, are the factory shim plates needed? The EBC Greenstuff pads have a black integrated 'noise reduction shim'.

Went online and found conflicting info. Some folks say use them its fine, others say not to and that EBC has documentation (on the box) to not use them.

My EBC boxes, included documentation, and their website does not list whether you should or should not use the factory shims.

I followed Ayles pics and saw that they were reused: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62171

In the end I did re-use them - I haven't driven the truck more than a couple miles just to make sure it was OK. (Finished up late last night and took my motorcycle to work today.) Brakes are quiet at low speeds, there was also no squealing. BUT there was some creeking from a full stop, into reverse. I know I need to give these pads a 100 miles or so at least. To burn off the black coating on the rotors and the bed-in coating on the pads.

I'll check it out more tonight, but I was wondering what the census was on here.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....I used the factory shims on mine. I just figured if it didn't come with new ones, to use the old ones (after cleaning them up a bunch).

My brakes work great now btw - Saved me from crunching a deer the other day.
Good to hear Canuck!

I followed your thread on the EBC install. I know I started an EBC thread before, but it took me till now to bite the bullet and install. I remember you having some issues, glad to see they are sorted out.

Went with USR Sport Rotors all around, and 7000 series Green in the front with 6000 series in the rear. Replaced the fluid too and my battery. Took me 2 days working a few hours a day (probably 5 hours total). Its nice to have a large garage and spare cars!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick bump, anyone else running EBC or other aftermarket pads that come pre-fitted with shims? Are you running / not running the factory shims (silver pad back plates) as well?

Contacted EBC and they recommend that the factory shims aren't needed, to only use one and to use theirs. But did not provide why.

Only thing I can think of is the possibility of over thickness and brake drag. Which I don't think I'm experiencing...

My brakes feel and sound fine (i.e. are quiet)... though I only have about 60 miles on them so far. I'm torn between leaving them alone or pulling them apart and removing the shims. Its not that hard, but I'd just as soon leave well enough alone too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used the factory shims on my Nissan Hardbody with the green ebc's... mainly so there wouldn't be as much green showing from the pad. don't think it matters either way.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got this response from EBC this morning:

"When the brake pad gets hot the second shim can start sliding off the first shim. This can cause squeal and other issues down the road."

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt keep the factory shims. No issues.
Same here, I decided to remove the factory shims from the pads. Real easy to do, didn't even have to remove the pads or fully take the caliper off.

No noise, still quiet. Can't say whether or not the factory shims would be an issue, but since EBC said don't use them I decided to take them out. On a side note, scary when I reversed out of the driveway the following morning and had no brakes for a moment! (I forgot to re-seed the caliper by pumping the brakes a couple times.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just put the EBC pads on without the shims. Main reason was they were rusted as hell pretty flimsy. Have not had an issue without them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts