Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides an alignment, is there anything else that is a MUST for a leveling kit? I am only doing the 2" spacer up front and thats it. I hear people talking about cam bolts and shims. Is any of that stuff required? Will I have any problems with just the spacer? Thanks guys

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
If you are installing a front suspension leveling kit. All you should need is the spacers themselves.

Now, if the spacers don't ship with hardware then you may need some nuts and washers.

Shims are for rear suspension lifts and are installed in between the axle and the leaf pack.

Cam bolts are used for aligning your vehicle. Some Xterras came standard with them. I am pretty sure these were only the early '05 models. if you have poor alignment issues, then you may need cam bolts.

Either way, after installation of spacers you should get an re-alignment ASAP to fix any camber or toe issues.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, the spacers come with the nuts and washers as I was told. I was just not sure about the shims. I am definitely getting the alignment first thing. I wonder if my X came with cam bolts. It's an 05, but I am not sure on the build date

·
on line
57 Posts
What spacers are you planning on using?

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a kit on ebay....autospringskit I think, pretty much the same exact thing as the top gun spacers. $89

·
on line
57 Posts
If you read, that is TGC, i got the same ones with free shipping and they are the same kit. When I got the box it says Top gun customz. So i saved some money. 10$ off and no shipping.

BTW: your gonna want to get shackles or something to raise the rear. I added shackles and my front is still just a smidge higher.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you read, that is TGC, i got the same ones with free shipping and they are the same kit. When I got the box it says Top gun customz. So i saved some money. 10$ off and no shipping.

BTW: your gonna want to get shackles or something to raise the rear. I added shackles and my front is still just a smidge higher.
Really? I have a Waag center grille guard weighing me down a little up front so hopefully I will be pretty level with the kit installed. If not, then down the road I probably will consider raising the rear just a tad bit, but I am not looking for anything crazy. I barely ever go off-road(although in Jersey, you never know when you will run over a dead dear on a major highway going 70-75 mph), so as long as I have a fair amount of ground clearance, I am happy.

·
on line
57 Posts
AC shackles are 65 bucks. If you have the extra coin, i would do it. Once you see it, you probably will. The spacers are built like a tank, very good craftsmanship. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the heads up. I guess I can definitely live with $65. I am waiting for the spacers to come first, and like you said, if I see it and dont like, I will go with your suggestion. Do you have any pics of your setup by any chance?

·
on line
57 Posts
No i dont, if you look in the lift section, the daystar spacer and shackle lift gives you about hte same look. if you look at the lift sticky you will see what it will look like.

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xterrock said:
malakia12 said:
thank you for the heads up. I guess I can definitely live with $65. I am waiting for the spacers to come first, and like you said, if I see it and dont like, I will go with your suggestion. Do you have any pics of your setup by any chance?
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5571&highlight=
perfect, thanks.

by the way, what exhaust is that on your truck with the side exit exhaust pipe?

·
on line
57 Posts
^^ yup thats what it looks like!! Its mild yet it makes it look a bit more 'agressive'.

·
on line
39 Posts
HI. I just put 285 75 16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 06 offroad. I kept the original rims. Do I have to get a lift kit? They barely rub in the front at all except for every now and then and i saw this 2 inch levelling kit by a company called daystar that seems like it would be perfect. I do not go offraod very often and even when I do its only just dirt roads, etc. Will that kit work? Will I have to get new shocks? DO I have to get the rear shackles too? It says LEVELING KIT...will the front be higher if I only get the spacers for the front?(http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/KN09106X4.html)
Thank you

·
on line
39 Posts
hendrixfan said:
I haven't done it myself but I am pretty sure all you need to do is the melt mod and you will be good to go.
LOL....I am SO not mechanically inclined. Can someone go thru this step reaaaaaal slow and explain it like I am moderately retarded, lol? I dont want to have to spend all that money to lift the front and back up.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I posted this on the other thread also, but am putting it here just in case you dont read that one.

no need to cut metal. And you might be able to get away with it without taking your tires off. This is as simple as I could make it. I hope it helps.

Step 1. get in your car and start it.

Step 2. turn the wheel all the way to the left (drivers side), then turn your car off.

Step 3. go to the passengers side front wheel (your wheel should be sticking out enough to give you some working room.

Step 4. Get a high powered hair dryer (we all know you have one), and start heating up the plastic for a good minute or two in the main areas that your tires have been rubbing. It could take even longer depending on how hot the hair dryer is able to get.

Step 5. Try and push the plastic in and re mold it so it doesnt stick out as far. (It can get hot, so wear gloves [not rubber ones] and try to use someting to push on it rather than your fingers) repeat this step a couple of times untill you are sure the plastic is going to stay where you want it to.

Step 6. Get back in the car, start it up, turn the wheel the other way and repeat the steps on the other side.

·
on line
39 Posts
Melissa D. said:
worked like a charm!!!!! you are the man! ;) and yes, i have one of those chi hair dryers....in baby pink, no doubt!
thank you!
ok...like i said it worked like a charm! but, unfortunately when i backed out of my garage to test the job....i creamed my drivers rearview mirror. yes, i am serious...no need to tease me. :drunken: lol. are these easy to replace? how do you get them on and off? i see thr replacements are around 70 dollars.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
oh lol that sucks! Never taken one off. But you might find something in the who-to section.

if not, take pictures of it step by step and make a how-to out of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts