Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who has recently installed an engine skid remember what was up in the frame where the 2 center bolts on the front of the engine skid go? As you can see below I've managed to bugger up one of the 2 center bolts. When I tried to put in a replacement it turns out there is nothing there to thread the bolt in to. I'm thinking the nut, which may be been welded into the frame rail, has snapped off or shattered? Seems to be just a big hole there now.

Close up:

The weird thing is that I thought I was being pretty good at checking the skid plate bolts before every off road trip, if it had been really loose and hanging down I would have noticed it. Have not quite figured out how this one happened.

There are 3 other bolts along the front, so I can probably live with it as is, but if anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.

Thanks - Frank B.

·
on line
1,739 Posts

I've just added the Engine/Transmission and T-Case plates yesterday. Which bolt?

On the front of the transmision skid the two bolts thread into an existing threaded hole in a cross member. The center bolt of the rear three is the same. The two outside bolts are 2.5" long and stick up though un-threaded holes and have a fender washer and bolt on top.

I'm looking for bolt head protectors now ...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Are they called "rock-washers"? Like bulbous washers that sit higher out than the head?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Wasn't it the MIA Black Panther selling rock washers? I'd still like to get some if they are around

·
on line
2,938 Posts
RogueClimber said:
Wasn't it the MIA Black Panther selling rock washers? I'd still like to get some if they are around
They aren't around. Or at least not now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts