Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I put a 2" spacer lift on the front of my '06 OR. Looked great except for the amount of camber involved. The front wheels really 'V' inwards.
Taking it to the allignment shop yielded nothing better. They said that it is well within specs and they cannot 'fix' the look (less 'V') while alligning it correctly.

I took the spacers off because it looked too strange for me.

Anyone have any experience with this and care to comment?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Umm, if it was within spec when they aligned it, then the "V" should still be there. My guess, you don't have Cam bolts and the shop didn't know how to adjust the camber.

Do you have the electronic printout that most shops use?

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I ordered and installed the cam bolts because the shop said I needed them because of the excessive toe-in caused by the lift. I took it back and they re-aligned it within specs after I put them on. Unfortunately the 'V' is still pretty....well, pretty 'V'ed. I know there needs to be somewhat of a 'V' look to the front wheels, but this seems a little excessive.

Thanks for the quick reply

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What shop did you take it to? It almost sounds like you need to take it to someone who knows what they are talking about.

The Cam bolts would not help toe in/out (that is what your tie-rod ends are for). The cam bolts adjust your camber. And I have not really looked at how to adjust the caster.

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a good shop. Alignments are the only thing that they do (they do all of the police, FD. and city vehicles as well as the chase and rescue vehicles for the Indy 500 track) and I have been going to them for years.
I am sure they know what they are doing since they have been in business for over 50 years, but you never know, I suppose...

Either way, they quickly recognized there were no adjustable camber bolts on the truck the first time I brought it in. Their first recommendation was to get some of these bolts before I do any more mods. Good advice as far as I can tell.

·
on line
631 Posts
yep i had that problem too... its common without the cam bolts. i dont have em, but my X was on the alignment rack while i adjusted the cross camber and toe. ive had my M/Ts on for about 4k miles, and no signs of it wearing on the outside edges. wear is even for both front tires.

its positive camber. when the top of the tire is further out then the bottom of the tire. like a \---/ <thats what it looks like

toed out a little, but cross camber was off a lot. waaay into the red zone. i thought it looked funny too, the way the tires were... but i drove on it for a while to see what would happen after it settled. tires wear even, they look kinda like a V but not as bad as before.

my lift is coming off when the weather here in vegas gets back into the 80s (in october! haha) and either the calmini kit or a pieced together kit is going on. i wheeled with the alignment like this, with no problems at all.

i know someone else on here went to the dealer to get it aligned after installing the lift... might wanna check into that

·
on line
975 Posts
Dude, mine have had that V look since I drove it off the lot. I also did the spacers up front and took it in for an alignment. The adjusted the toe and said the camber was in spec. The only issue i'm having with the front is cupping on my m/t's. I was told that it was due to the tires being heavier and the stock S-trim struts can't handle it. So i'm looking to replace the front struts with the Bilstiens, which I have already done in the back. Just thought I would let you know.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
What it "looks" wrong and what's correct are two different things. What does the alignment printout show?
My X has the V and it's within camber specs. Nothing to worry about

1 - 10 of 10 Posts